Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Most accurate bolt gun for $2500

Feedback Score
    For $2500 I would reach out to Mark over at Short Action Customs for a custom build. He builds some of the best rifles in the shooting world.
    Last edited by Maverick; 01-02-21 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've never shot a 6mm vs 6.5CM, but would love to try one. I just have too much ammo and reloading supplies in 6.5 to buy one in this nutbag hording environment.

FWIW, every time one of these threads pops up, the 6mm wins the PRS debate. So, I would listen to that consistent advice given. 300WM is awesome but a bit much for shooting all day long.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    For that price, lurk on gunbroker or call Mile High for a used Accuracy International AE...MkIII if you can.
    Probably will be over your price range but I second the AI suggestion.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Accuracy is really mostly in the barrel. You can get an "accurate" gun for under $2k easy.

Bergara makes great barrels, and they come with their rifles. Ruger Precision is pretty decent accuracy wise, add a barrel from Long Rifles Inc and it'll shoot accurately well.

It's the other issues that you're paying for.

bolt throw, reliability, aftermarket compatibility, etc.

Spend more and get an Accuracy International if you're going to do it long term.

Ruger Precision is the value option with decent accuracy.

Customs start around that price range, but it may require more gunsmithing that you want to deal with.

Tikka is the easy button for a great barrel and great trigger out of the box. Action is very smooth. fewer aftermarket options though

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Accuracy is really mostly in the barrel. You can get an "accurate" gun for under $2k easy.

Bergara makes great barrels, and they come with their rifles. Ruger Precision is pretty decent accuracy wise, add a barrel from Long Rifles Inc and it'll shoot accurately well.

It's the other issues that you're paying for.

bolt throw, reliability, aftermarket compatibility, etc.

Spend more and get an Accuracy International if you're going to do it long term.

Ruger Precision is the value option with decent accuracy.

Customs start around that price range, but it may require more gunsmithing that you want to deal with.

Tikka is the easy button for a great barrel and great trigger out of the box. Action is very smooth. fewer aftermarket options though

Feedback Score
    To the best of my knowledge all the NRA 1000 yard records but 1 is done with 6.5X284. and the 1000 yard any rifle/sight record has been held by Carl Kovalchek for about 20 years now. 200-19X IIRC and he shot a 300 Win Mag with 200 grain Sierras.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    Agreed! These days, you have to be insane to pay for a boutique gun with how easy it is to scoop up a factory gun that'll shoot 1/2 moa if you find it's favorite load.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If you want accurate, go to a big time match and see what the winners are shooting. It's not going to be box ammo.

PRS Limited class guns are a place to look, they are optimized in that budget but don't always favor maximum accuracy.

Most match shooters will treat the barrel as a wear item. 6.5 Creedmoor should have a better accuracy life than a 6 Creedmoor so that can be a factor. 6 Creedmoor might be a little more tune sensitive, I don't know if box ammo will work out as well.

Don't buy a rifle if you can't get a trigger you like in it or you can't get a nice stock/chassis to put it in. Some stuff just doesn't give you the right options, some will be right from the start.

Relying on a factory barrel instead of a hand or CNC machined match quality barrel cut from a good barrel blank is kind of silly too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234