Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did anyone ever come up with a 45 degree offset sight system that works well

Feedback Score

Did anyone ever come up with a 45 degree offset sight system that works well

I keep seeing all the 45 degree offset bases for sale for Weaver bases but I have never seen any on a rifle being used for anything. I remember seeing a scope with irons on the top of the scope pictures but don't know anyone that uses them.

Just thinking on it but tilting sights would be a tad difficult to zero and you would be restricted to close in shots but I don't remember ever seeing a sight mounted at 45 degrees.

I could see a small scope mounted on 45 mounts with the cross hairs tilted at 45 to give vertical sight picture but the nature of scopes and weights and size seems to preclude such.

Thus it seems the only logical option is learn to look down the barrel with rifle canted and practice till you get good.

I had a good friend who was a sniper with Patton's Army at the Bulge and he told me several interesting tidbits.

1. He traded off his 03A4 for a M1 Garand.
    2. He looked down the barrel and pointed it like a shotgun for close in shots.
    3. He opened the rear aperture up so he could see front sight in the woods (low light).

I remember back during Nam the Army was teaching such and bought BB rifles with no sights and tossed up metal discs for troops to get used to looking down the barrel.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    There are plenty of competitors running 45 degree sights or miniature red dots such as the RMR in conjunction with a scope. I think they can be said to work well and apparently zero just fine. If you mean the magnified optic mounted at 45 degrees, I'm certain that has been done and I read it on this forum.

Andy

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Google “3 gun rifle stage“ and watch the videos.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have several designed but never put into production. The manufacturing cost isn't justified considering you can get an RMR, ACRO or T1 with an offset mount mount that would do the job better. An RMR and T1, or ACRO will cost a lot more but then they're also more capable and easier to use than iron sights.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    I keep seeing all the 45 degree offset bases for sale for Weaver bases but I have never seen any on a rifle being used for anything. I remember seeing a scope with irons on the top of the scope pictures but don't know anyone that uses them.

Just thinking on it but tilting sights would be a tad difficult to zero and you would be restricted to close in shots but I don't remember ever seeing a sight mounted at 45 degrees.

I could see a small scope mounted on 45 mounts with the cross hairs tilted at 45 to give vertical sight picture but the nature of scopes and weights and size seems to preclude such.

Thus it seems the only logical option is learn to look down the barrel with rifle canted and practice till you get good.

I had a good friend who was a sniper with Patton's Army at the Bulge and he told me several interesting tidbits.

1. He traded off his 03A4 for a M1 Garand.
    2. He looked down the barrel and pointed it like a shotgun for close in shots.
    3. He opened the rear aperture up so he could see front sight in the woods (low light).

I remember back during Nam the Army was teaching such and bought BB rifles with no sights and tossed up metal discs for troops to get used to looking down the barrel.
    Well it’s 2020 instead of 1944. The options for offset RDS are numerous and while several offset irons exist, if you’re going to offset something, an RDS is going to be much moar better.

Now you’ve seent it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Today's options are much, much better than with an M21, having to strip off the optic to use irons to get back into a fight. They can be zeroed for both elevation and windage and some are-back-ups to an optical back-up.

You have three-gun game players, and you have guys who have been in combat whose optics have failed. Mine have failed in combat twice, two separate weapons separated by 18 years (an ART 1 telescope and an Eotech).

For left-handed:

For non-snag / flip-up on-call:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    For non-snag / flip-up on-call:

Two sets of BUIS?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Two sets of BUIS?
    BUBUIS

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Two sets of BUIS?
    For when failure is not an option.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I had not see the Dueck sights set up like that. Really cool.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast