Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Did anyone ever come up with a 45 degree offset sight system that works well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    Those are straight up chineseum ripoffs of Dueck Defense sights.
    Yep, ok. There are much cheaper copies of the idea out there too, and it’s not sold as a fake... with illegally duplicated markings (which did happen), this is an A2 sight drum and hood on an offset mount, and Dueck Defense is welcome to go defend their patent of that if they like with these guys; honestly I believe patenting that is absurd. AT3 Tactical is a US based LLC.

I won’t say they are anywhere near the quality of the Dueck RTS, I only said they are a viable get your feet wet part of someone is so inclined.

I’ve also tried the $29 even cheaper ones which are truly crap and heavier and fall apart. AT3 has a better built *copy*.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    For when failure is not an option.
    I just run backup irons as my only sights but who knows when those will go down or the battery will die and I will need BUBUIS?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Offsets up and used with the main optic on higher magnification, if the scope takes a shit remove it, fold the offsets and pop up the KAC BUIS for use as your primary sight and roll on. At least that is what I was thinking when I did a similar setup with a Griffin Armament Fail Safe sight.
    Can see that makes sense in some cases, such as a DMR optic that doesn't have 1X, to have two additional sights: one for CQ, one for backup.

Still thinking through what to do for a secondary sight on my new 6.5G rifle setup (has a NF NX8 2.5-20x50 mounted). Been researching for about 3 weeks and haven't decided yet. The role of that rifle is mainly hunting and intermediate or long-range target shooting; it wouldn't be my go-to rifle as a civvy for any defensive type use. For that reason I don't want to bother with the cost and hassle of offset RDS, even if that means sacrificing a little speed to get on target. The RDS definitely wins there. But the offset irons have a couple pros too: they're lighter weight, more snag-free and out-of-the-way if you use the folding type, no batteries to fail, and no issues with fogging or environmental conditions that would affect any optic that has a lens. So yeah, definitely want BUIS setup on this rifle. Weighing whether to do inline or offset. On my other 5.56 rifles, the typical setup is either fixed irons co-witnessed with a T1/T2, or folded inline BUIS with LPVO in a QD. On this rifle the use in a CQ role would be rare, but could happen even in hunting as the NF goes down to only 2.5x and has a finicky eyebox due to the large magnification range. For that reason alone--that I might need a 1x sight for hunting--I think I'll probably go with folding offset irons.

ETA ordered these: MI folding offsets. 100% ambi, total weight for set is 3.4 oz, they fold back to extremely low profile.

Here's the MI's on my 6.5G rifle, folded and then deployed. They are sturdy and the folding mechanism is strong, really well made. When you have them folded they are lo-pro and out of the way, should minimize snags. Look forward to trying them out:

Last edited by maximus83; 10-11-20 at 04:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I just run backup irons as my only sights but who knows when those will go down or the battery will die and I will need BUBUIS?
    Yes. Always run BUBUIS.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I prefer KAC or Magpul offset BUIS.

Living in the south and coming out of an A/C house / Car can ruin your glass optics with fogging - condensation for several minutes. Wipe it off but it comes right back due to the temp differential of the optic v ambient temps. Yes you can wipe shit on your optic to negate that fogging too but no thanks for me.

Or take a spill into some water / mud.

It's all trade offs - I'm sure an offset RDS is 'faster' than irons but irons are cheaper, flip out of the way, and provide a level of redundancy (mech vs optic) that you don't get with a RDS offset.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

Living in the south and coming out of an A/C house / Car can ruin your glass optics with fogging - condensation for several minutes. Wipe it off but it comes right back due to the temp differential of the optic v ambient temps. Yes you can wipe shit on your optic to negate that fogging too but no thanks for me.

It's all trade offs - I'm sure an offset RDS is 'faster' than irons but irons are cheaper, flip out of the way, and provide a level of redundancy (mech vs optic) that you don't get with a RDS offset.
    This shit is true, although my offsets are fixed. Also, a range I frequent has some sort of special clay mud that launches back directly at your optic. It’ll get all the way to the 20yd line.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Weird...feels like I just posted something like this somewhere. Ditto on BUIS pros/cons vs RDS.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    This shit is true, although my offsets are fixed. Also, a range I frequent has some sort of special clay mud that launches back directly at your optic. It’ll get all the way to the 20yd line.
    Yep, had it happen to me in Oklahoma and why I have fixed offsets as well.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Can see that makes sense in some cases, such as a DMR optic that doesn't have 1X, to have two additional sights: one for CQ, one for backup.

Still thinking through what to do for a secondary sight on my new 6.5G rifle setup (has a NF NX8 2.5-20x50 mounted). Been researching for about 3 weeks and haven't decided yet. The role of that rifle is mainly hunting and intermediate or long-range target shooting; it wouldn't be my go-to rifle as a civvy for any defensive type use. For that reason I don't want to bother with the cost and hassle of offset RDS, even if that means sacrificing a little speed to get on target. The RDS definitely wins there. But the offset irons have a couple pros too: they're lighter weight, more snag-free and out-of-the-way if you use the folding type, no batteries to fail, and no issues with fogging or environmental conditions that would affect any optic that has a lens. So yeah, definitely want BUIS setup on this rifle. Weighing whether to do inline or offset. On my other 5.56 rifles, the typical setup is either fixed irons co-witnessed with a T1/T2, or folded inline BUIS with LPVO in a QD. On this rifle the use in a CQ role would be rare, but could happen even in hunting as the NF goes down to only 2.5x and has a finicky eyebox due to the large magnification range. For that reason alone--that I might need a 1x sight for hunting--I think I'll probably go with folding offset irons.

ETA ordered these: MI folding offsets. 100% ambi, total weight for set is 3.4 oz, they fold back to extremely low profile.

Here's the MI's on my 6.5G rifle, folded and then deployed. They are sturdy and the folding mechanism is strong, really well made. When you have them folded they are lo-pro and out of the way, should minimize snags. Look forward to trying them.
    I hate the people that quote an entire post, but your thinking mirrors my own, except my optic is 2.5-10X and I want the irons for the extremely remote chance of CQ role. The MI sights look good to me.

Stupid question - are you left handed?

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I hate the people that quote an entire post, but your thinking mirrors my own, except my optic is 2.5-10X and I want the irons for the extremely remote chance of CQ role. The MI sights look good to me.

Stupid question - are you left handed?

Andy
    Yep. It's a curse, and a blessing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast