Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for a Recce

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Scope for a Recce

About a month ago I got in a Centurion Arms Recce rifle. Set it aside and since have gathered a few bits- bipod, charging handle, pistol grip.....Just little stuff. The next step of course is putting an optic on it. Was thinking of the Vortex Razor 1-10x might be pretty close to ideal. I have not had a chance to look at one of them in person yet though.

I had discussed it with a couple of RKI's and they said that the thing with LPVO's is that there is always a "tradeoff" that's made in reticle sizing etc...It either favors the high end, or the lower end- there is no happy "middle" and that in the case of the Vortex the reticle is "biased" to 10x essentially. Which means that the reticle is less ideal at the lower powers.

Thoughts? Is there a "better option" for a Recce type rifle in the $1800-2,500 range?
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    About a month ago I got in a Centurion Arms Recce rifle. Set it aside and since have gathered a few bits- bipod, charging handle, pistol grip.....Just little stuff. The next step of course is putting an optic on it. Was thinking of the Vortex Razor 1-10x might be pretty close to ideal. I have not had a chance to look at one of them in person yet though.

I had discussed it with a couple of RKI's and they said that the thing with LPVO's is that there is always a "tradeoff" that's made in reticle sizing etc...It either favors the high end, or the lower end- there is no happy "middle" and that in the case of the Vortex the reticle is "biased" to 10x essentially. Which means that the reticle is less ideal at the lower powers.

Thoughts? Is there a "better option" for a Recce type rifle in the $1800-2,500 range?
    Can you give a little more info what the role of the rifle is going to be. I get that its a RECCE but that could go down several paths. In the traditional sense it's a more accurate AR with higher magnification glass on it so you can identify targets at distance. Traditionally a 2-10 was the sweet spot for that. Building off that, now you have the ability to have 1-10. The Vortex is aimpoint bright at 1x. So its a red dot at 1x and it goes up to 10x. Have you been behind a Razor 1-6?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Can you give a little more info what the role of the rifle is going to be. I get that its a RECCE but that could go down several paths. In the traditional sense it's a more accurate AR with higher magnification glass on it so you can identify targets at distance. Traditionally a 2-10 was the sweet spot for that. Building off that, now you have the ability to have 1-10. The Vortex is aimpoint bright at 1x. So its a red dot at 1x and it goes up to 10x. Have you been behind a Razor 1-6?
    It's going to be a 400-700 yard rifle primarily..... Filling in between a standard M4 type rifle and a precision 6.5 CM. I shoot at this "intermediate distance" fairly often- we have the terrain for it. I have not been behind a Razor 1-6x but have a PST 1-6 on a rifle. I like it for what it is...need a little more high end though for what I really want to do with this rifle. "Was always told 1x for every 100 yards you want to shoot"

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    It's going to be a 400-700 yard rifle primarily..... Filling in between a standard M4 type rifle and a precision 6.5 CM. I shoot at this "intermediate distance" fairly often- we have the terrain for it. I have not been behind a Razor 1-6x but have a PST 1-6 on a rifle. I like it for what it is...need a little more high end though for what I really want to do with this rifle. "Was always told 1x for every 100 yards you want to shoot"
    That's not really a RECCE in my book. That's more of a DMR or a precision rig. If you dont need the CQB ellement make your life easier and get a 3-15 or a 3-18 like the Leupold Mark 6.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I love my 1-10 though I do wish I'd held out for an MRAD version since I believe it'd be more useful at distance (reticle alone, despite adjustments). There are trade offs to everything but the Gen III Razor is as close to balanced as I think you can get. My only comment is that the ocular adjustment was more important than on my 1-6, meaning I had to spend more time playing with it to find just the right adjustment.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    For a Recce gun, it's really hard to beat the Razor 1-10 right now. You have great glass, true 1x, and daylight bright dot. If you want a scope with 1x, that's probably the best bet, and the 10x gives you better long range magnification than most LPVOs out there. Hard to beat the Vortex Warranty as well.

If you want to mainly play in the 400-770 yard + DMR type range, you could also consider going with a non 1x scope. The Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 is an amazing scope, and it fills the DMR, and even long range, role very well. I think a 2.5-20 with offset RDS is a great intermediate range setup.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    If you want to mainly play in the 400-770 yard + DMR type range, you could also consider going with a non 1x scope. The Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 is an amazing scope, and it fills the DMR, and even long range, role very well. I think a 2.5-20 with offset RDS is a great intermediate range setup.
    It is a great setup. I run this this optic on an 18" 6.5G. ETA I'd just add, if interested in this type of optic you should also check the Leupold MK 5 3.6-18x, that was my other candidate and many feel it has a more forgiving eyebox and slightly better glass. In the end, NF won for me on other factors.
    Last edited by maximus83; 10-02-20 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    False alarm. Went digging around in my Box O' Optics and found a Leupold MK 8. 1.1-8x. Took it in in a trade awhile back... Better than dropping $2k....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How do you forget you have something like that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    How do you forget you have something like that?

It was a pretty lop sided trade--guy just kinda, threw it in at the last minute to sweeten the pot and I didnt think much about it when we did the deal..... I didnt have a use for it at the time so I just stashed it away....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast