Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the q/c at Marlin like now?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    1894s without a safety are not common by any means and the same is true about quite a few neat 336/1895 models.

My 1895 GS is the only lever gun I own with a cross bolt safety so I replaced it with a dummy screw made for that purpose.

Edited to add that there is nothing wrong with the crossbolt safety, it's just not traditional. If my guide gun was my only lever action rifle, the safety would be intact and in use.

Andy
    Hence hunting. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not pick up one I saw a while back, the dude a 44 mag and beautiful 357 w/ blondish wood both w/o the safety.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does a safety really matter

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post

If you only have one lever rifle or all safety/non-safety it really doesn't matter, IMHO.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-06-20 at 10:25.

Feedback Score
    I have a 1894 in 45 Colt and a 1895 Guide Gun and both were bought new in the past 3 years. The wood to metal fit on both is good and neither has ever had a malfunction. The actions were not bad out of the box, but I smoothed them both up and they now function very smooth. The 95 has a set of Skinner peep sights on it and the 94 will get a set as well. Both also have the dummy screw to remove the crossbolt safety. It is pretty well known that there were major issues when Remmingtion took over, but I think they have more or less worked out most of the issues. I would still want to handle one in person before buying.

Feedback Score
    I saw somewhere that Ruger is upgrading their NC facility to start building the Marlin product line there. Supposed to be up and running mid 2021.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have almost a dozen Marlin lever guns. To me, it matters because only 2 of them have the safeties and the rest are all older rifles. I have done as many have and simply deleted the safeties and added a "screw" to fill the hole so that all of my rifles operate the same. I have a Marlin Cowboy and one of the little, rare, .357 16", ported carbines that have the safety- neither was ever made without it and they are too cool not to own.....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I have almost a dozen Marlin lever guns. To me, it matters because only 2 of them have the safeties and the rest are all older rifles. I have done as many have and simply deleted the safeties and added a "screw" to fill the hole so that all of my rifles operate the same. I have a Marlin Cowboy and one of the little, rare, .357 16", ported carbines that have the safety- neither was ever made without it and they are too cool not to own.....
    Or just not use them. Works the same way as adding a screw with less work involved.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Or just not use them. Works the same way as adding a screw with less work involved.

If you don't use them, they inevitably move themselves to safe when no one is looking

Of course, the right size o-ring puts a stop to those shenanigans.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yea, I don't like the idea that a safety could get applied and the gun function perfectly normally right up until I pull the trigger and then I get a click. Deleting them just makes sense, it's a $15 part and takes 20 minutes. We got by for 150 years with safeties on lever guns, never saw the need.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12