Thread: 90’s Model Springfield Armory compact help needed.

Feedback Score

90’s Model Springfield Armory compact help needed.

My wife recently bought me a used 90’s model Springfield Armory Compact for my birthday and it still has the original Officer’s style spring plug/Commander style bushing setup. What’s a good way to upgrade this without the expense of a new barrel?

Feedback Score
    Shoot it if it works leave it alone. Short barrel 1911’s can be notoriously finicky.

Feedback Score
    Is it the 4", 4.25" or 3.5" Compact? They've stamped Compact on all at different times in the '90s. EGW has some for the 4" Springfield. I think Wilson may have one, too. I just machined a buddy's for a flange style to replace the original. They're neat pistols, but I'll warn you that there is no telling what you're going to find if you start changing swapping things on one.

Feedback Score
    It’s the 4”.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloSierra View Post
    It’s the 4”.
    I'm not sure about a direct fit option. Clark makes one similar for an Officer's length, but still needs machining to relieve for the flange. EGW sells one that says it is for a 4" Springield, but looks to be a collar-type in the photo. I used Wilson's 4" flat wire kit with a Nighthawk Commander bushing that I relieved the slide for its flange, then flush-cut the muzzle from 4.25" to 4". I don't see why you need to stay with the reverse plug since your pistol should have a bushing like my buddy's that I worked on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloSierra View Post
    What’s a good way to upgrade this without the expense of a new barrel?
    Like usmc51 said, EGW offers a flat wire guide rod kit for 4" Springfields. Here's a link to it: https://www.egwguns.com/springfield-...r-spring-10504. If you're not aware of EGW, they design and make some of the very best 1911 parts available. EGW is about a 20 minute drive away from me and I've visited them regularly over the years to buy parts as I need them for various projects. Everyone there is extremely customer friendly and well versed in 1911s.

Shorter than 5" 1911s eat up recoil springs faster than their big brother. Flat wire recoil springs have a service life that is much, much longer than round wire and have quickly become popular for use in these shorty .45s.