Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to build no frills, highly reliable *shtf* type AR.

Feedback Score

Looking to build no frills, highly reliable *shtf* type AR.

***UPDATE 10/14/21***

So I've gone ahead and started to make some orders. So far here is what I have or have on the way

Lower - stripped gen 2 aero lower (on the way)

Upper - aero precision standard mil-spec upper with forward assist and port door installed (on the way)

Buffer - bcm 3.8oz h buffer (have)

Buffer spring - springco white spring (have)

Endplate - bcm qd (have)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I'm simply looking to build up a nice quality AR with the sole purpose of self defense/shtf. When I say SHTF I really just mean something rugged and reliable. I shoot lefty so an ambi mag release, safety and ch are a must. Ambi bolt release not so much since I usually just use my trigger finger to drop the bolt. So far I've decided for sure on a few pieces of the build. The barrel and BCG.

BARREL
    The barrel will be a 16" Spikes/FN chf mid-length "optimum" barrel. Haven't decided if I want the A2FSGB and use a 9.5" free float or go with the single pinned and set screw with a 12-13.5" handguard. Either way same outcome.

BCG
    Looking to get a microbest. I'd like a fathers of freedom from PSA but they're out of stock. BCM or SOLGW will most likely be the BCG I choose.

MAG RELEASE AND SAFETY
    Geissele maritime bolt release
    Troy ambi mag release

OR
    FCD rear biased bolt catch with their standard length ambi mag release.

Other than that I'm still trying to gather idea's. First I'd like to decide on a forged upper/lower. I'd like to get a set made from the same manufacturer. Right now I think an Aero m4e1 lower with a standard Aero upper so I can use any handguard is where I'm leaning. Biggest issue is trying to find an upper and lower in stock from the same company.

I currently have a springco white spring and H Buffer so I'll probably start out with that combo and see how it runs once I decide on everything and make my orders. I also already have a BCM qd endplate and an ikickhippies endplate so that's taken care of whichever one I decide to use.

Far as the LPK and trigger I'm open. I think a standard mil-spec single stage trigger would suite my needs just fine. Maybe something like an ALG ACT or BCM PNT. I'd also consider the right to bear arms pnt 5.5 lb trigger since I used to have one and loved it.

The LPK I just want something basic that is non mim. Maybe CMMG or something like that?

Well that's just some of my quick thoughts and would love any and all feedback and ideas.

Oh, another goal is to keep this build as lightweight as I can given the barrel I chose. The optic will be a red dot- most likely a Trijicon MRO with a qd lower 1/3rd mount. Light will be a surefire scout m300 z68 tailcap. Other than that I don't plan to use anything else for add-on's except possibly a vert grip.
    Last edited by Cowboys1; 10-14-20 at 10:22.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Post is moved - hope I did not come across as too much of an ass.

My first thought when I read your post was that it's a bad time to build an AR. It will be hard to find specific parts, which can lead to compromises. I would suggest buying a complete, quality, AR and put building on the back burner.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-08-20 at 13:58.

Feedback Score
    My fault. I'll delete this and post it to AR Tech.

Looks like I can't delte it. Mod, please delete. Sorry again.

Feedback Score
    Looks like they got it moved

If you can find an Aero M4E1 set they are nice and if you go with the threaded style upper you can use any handguard you want.

SOLGW or BCM are great choices for the BCG

For lower parts kit look at SOLGW or Sionics. They both offer builder kits w/o trigger for resonable prices. All Scmid Tool parts. Trigger options you mentioned are fine. Centirion, SOLGW and Sionics all make a similar one if you cant find stock.

I really like FCD for any ambi parts. I have seen some issues of the Maritime breaking on some facebook groups

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How many AR15s have you assembled previously, or is this your first?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'd recommend buying a factory BCM and calling it a day.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I'd recommend buying a factory BCM and calling it a day.
    This is probably a very good idea ^. Then everything is matching. The price is reasonable, and you won't have to screw around trying to fix it if it doesn't work out. BCM = very good duty rifle. Everything works.

To build your own properly requires the right tools and some knowledge.

At the very least, if you feel like you want to build something, buy a complete BCM upper and build the lower.

But I would buy a complete rifle for my first one. That's what I did. Never regretted it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My BCM is really, really nice.

But Centurion Arms is the way to go.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I love building ARs, it's just a rotten time for it right now. Its also pretty ambitious to assemble a SHTF gun that absolutely, positively has to work as your first full build.

My first AR was a BCM complete URG on a stripped lower that I completed with BCM parts. It's been spot on reliable from day one. I also bought a used LMT complete 14.5 upper (bcg and all) and joined it to a complete LMT lower to create a SPM 14 - it's definitely SHTF worthy.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-09-20 at 08:12.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Actually because of the ambi requirements I would differ from others in the thread and say just buy an LMT and call it a day.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast