Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Looking to build no frills, highly reliable *shtf* type AR.

Feedback Score
    I have been looking for a no thrills standard A4 clone. 20" with removable carry handle, usgi handguard, and standard stock. Been tempted to grab a windham weaponry as there in stock at there retail store. Will be a range gun only.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I don’t know for some weird reason I like the way that A4’s look I don’t use mine as much as the 16 inch, nostalgia I guess

Feedback Score
    Red, They just feel right to me. Love how they shoot also.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This forum has taught me alot! This place AND hours reading and researching and listening to the ones who know what's what. You'll figure out who they are.
    I did as many suggest, and you just cant go wrong doing it and bought a BCM, fine rifle and never failed. Centurion Arms would also rank very very high. BUT, I have built every AR since and in 8 years I've had only a single issue with any and that was an over gassed barrel so not my fault.

I did put out the money for all tools needed, quality tools to. I also never bought ANY junk parts that could even remotely effect function or reliability. Maybe a cheap handguard or two and I'd bet the lives of my wife and daughter on any rifle I own. It can be done but you have to arm yourself with knowledge, patience, top shelf parts and humility. Dont build anything fancy with lightweight bcg and go changing springs. Build simple with parts proven and to an established standard. Listen to others too. It can be done but buying a complete rifle from a top teis maker is just price of mind.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
    If I buy the Colt lower the only things I'll change are simple things. Trigger guard, Grip, norgon (arms unlimited knock off) ambi mag release, bad-ass pro ambi safety, bcm qd endplate then re-stake it. I'll stick with the mil-spec Colt trigger since this is going to be a "go-to" type rifle. The Colt's come with the 4 position extension correct? I like the 2nd and 3rd slots of a 6 position.
    I have mostly 4 position Colt Defense extensions and I have no issues with them. I have one on an SPR and it works for precision well. I would advise against removing it considering Colt Defense makes the best extensions and stakes everything exceptionally well. If you can't swing the Colt get a SOLGW Blaster Pack with enhanced FCG and use your Aero's and get the extension hardware from SOLGW. I can assemble a lower in a few minutes properly, if I don't lose the pivot pin retaining spring and have to search for it.. lol

Feedback Score
    Since you want a SHTF rifle and S may HTF any day now, who knows? Parts all seem to be in short supply right now. Buying a BCM sounds to me like the best, quickest solution. Maybe you could call BCM, tell them what you want and get a recommendation.

Feedback Score
    I was recently at a large local sporting goods store. I was surprised they had three Colt Defense 6920 NIB in stock for a reasonable price (normal retail). Given the current political climate and the potential for civil war 2.0 to break out due to loss of election trust, I tend to agree, you should get what you can. I have had luck finding ammo at normal prices in big sporting stores and some manufacturer factory stores. Right now the prices are up and down and lots of junk ammo online going for too dollar 200-300% or more in some cases. If you can find a decent duty grade rifle I would go for it. And make sure you get mags they are available at Cabelas and Bass Pro for $13 each. Most bulk buys are not that great right now for ammo but I would bite the bullet if I were in such a position.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    To each their own in regards to building your. Why not just buy a factory lightweight build from one of the many awesome manufacturers. Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt.........

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
    ***UPDATE 10/14/21***

So I've gone ahead and started to make some orders. So far here is what I have or have on the way

Lower - stripped gen 2 aero lower (on the way)

Upper - aero precision standard mil-spec upper with forward assist and port door installed (on the way)

Buffer - bcm 3.8oz h buffer (have)

Buffer spring - springco white spring (have)

Endplate - bcm qd (have)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I'm simply looking to build up a nice quality AR with the sole purpose of self defense/shtf. When I say SHTF I really just mean something rugged and reliable. I shoot lefty so an ambi mag release, safety and ch are a must. Ambi bolt release not so much since I usually just use my trigger finger to drop the bolt. So far I've decided for sure on a few pieces of the build. The barrel and BCG.

BARREL
    The barrel will be a 16" Spikes/FN chf mid-length "optimum" barrel. Haven't decided if I want the A2FSGB and use a 9.5" free float or go with the single pinned and set screw with a 12-13.5" handguard. Either way same outcome.

BCG
    Looking to get a microbest. I'd like a fathers of freedom from PSA but they're out of stock. BCM or SOLGW will most likely be the BCG I choose.

MAG RELEASE AND SAFETY
    Geissele maritime bolt release
    Troy ambi mag release

OR
    FCD rear biased bolt catch with their standard length ambi mag release.

Other than that I'm still trying to gather idea's. First I'd like to decide on a forged upper/lower. I'd like to get a set made from the same manufacturer. Right now I think an Aero m4e1 lower with a standard Aero upper so I can use any handguard is where I'm leaning. Biggest issue is trying to find an upper and lower in stock from the same company.

I currently have a springco white spring and H Buffer so I'll probably start out with that combo and see how it runs once I decide on everything and make my orders. I also already have a BCM qd endplate and an ikickhippies endplate so that's taken care of whichever one I decide to use.

Far as the LPK and trigger I'm open. I think a standard mil-spec single stage trigger would suite my needs just fine. Maybe something like an ALG ACT or BCM PNT. I'd also consider the right to bear arms pnt 5.5 lb trigger since I used to have one and loved it.

The LPK I just want something basic that is non mim. Maybe CMMG or something like that?

Well that's just some of my quick thoughts and would love any and all feedback and ideas.

Oh, another goal is to keep this build as lightweight as I can given the barrel I chose. The optic will be a red dot- most likely a Trijicon MRO with a qd lower 1/3rd mount. Light will be a surefire scout m300 z68 tailcap. Other than that I don't plan to use anything else for add-on's except possibly a vert grip.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Hey, I see you have not mentioned anything about a nice SHTF optic to put on this carbine. However, since I think you would eventually want something, I would recommend an LPVO with an etched reticle. I specifically suggest the Trijicon AccuPoint TR24 or TR25 for this role. They are lightweight, rugged/reliable, don't have to worry with electronics and they don't rely on batteries for illumination. Their fiber optic illumination will last lifetimes and always be there as long as there is sunlight or an ambient lightsource. When there isn't, there is still a nice dark etched reticle.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678