Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to build no frills, highly reliable *shtf* type AR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Looking to build no frills, highly reliable *shtf* type AR.

This thread reminds me of when I suggest a new gun owner buy a Glock or HK as a first pistol then they come back with a Taurus because the internet sez “just as gud”.

Seriously OP, if you want a hard use rifle, sell the crap you bought and hunt down a complete rifle from Colt, Sionics, BCM or LMT. These rifles undergo QC checks before, during, and after assembly that you cannot do at home without a huge investment in tooling. Otherwise, this is just another cobbled together heap of parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyohte; 10-19-20 at 11:39. Reason: Sigfest?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    This thread reminds me of when I sigfest a new gun owner buy a Glock or HK as a first pistol then they come back with a Taurus because the internet sez “just as gud”.

Seriously OP, if you want a hard use rifle, sell the crap you bought and hunt down a complete rifle from Colt, Sionics, BCM or LMT. These rifles undergo QC checks before, during, and after assembly that you cannot do at home without a huge investment in tooling. Otherwise, this is just another cobbled together heap of parts.

I think a somewhat mechanically inclined person can assemble a lower with YouTube vids. However the cost in punches and a few odds and ends tools may price out be close to a complete lower in the end.

I still buy complete uppers from the above mentioned brands, also for the same exact reasons.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    I think a somewhat mechanically inclined person can assemble a lower with YouTube vids. However the cost in punches and a few odds and ends tools may price out be close to a complete lower in the end.

I still buy complete uppers from the above mentioned brands, also for the same exact reasons.

We’re talking best reliable no frills AR. Did the budget lower manufacturer QC check that lower before it went out the door? Maybe? Test fire it? Certainly not. Same with your LPK. There is a reason why companies like BCM and Sionics prefer to sell their lowers complete.

“Mechanically inclined people” on youtube are why pistol grips that cover the trigger guard tabs exist. DIY is great for hobby guns, but it’s not a replacement for factory quality and QC. The cost savings isn’t even there any more, unless using “just as gud” parts, but that isn’t what we’re discussing for a reliable rifle.

Feedback Score
    We’re talking best reliable no frills AR. Did the budget lower manufacturer QC check that lower before it went out the door? Maybe? Test fire it? Certainly not. Same with your LPK. There is a reason why companies like BCM and Sionics prefer to sell their lowers complete.

“Mechanically inclined people” on youtube are why pistol grips that cover the trigger guard tabs exist. DIY is great for hobby guns, but it’s not a replacement for factory quality and QC. The cost savings isn’t even there any more, unless using “just as gud” parts, but that isn’t what we’re discussing for a reliable rifle.

You're acting like the guy is a complete idiot. Maybe he is idk.

I remember the first time I assembled a lower half, I followed a few videos from Midway USA. I also didn't buy cheap "just as gud" parts. Believe it or not that lower still runs perfect to this very day!

I totally agree that buying anything complete from a reputable manufacturer is a sure fire way. I've noticed on this forum that there's an overly critical undertone when people ask for opinions or help.

I guess my point is, if OP is so incapable that he can't follow a legitimate guide and assemble a lower receiver, than it won't matter what rifle he has when he needs it.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    “Mechanically inclined people” on youtube are why pistol grips that cover the trigger guard tabs exist.
    I would like you to explain this statement for me, please.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I would like you to explain this statement for me, please.
    'cause folks watch a youtube video...It looks easy so they think they have a handle on things. "He just pounded that pin in, no problem...I can do that!"

But they lack experience and finesse and oftentimes the right tools. So when they get their framing hammer out and start to pound in the pin with a nail they found that looked to be the right size, the pin binds. They get frustrated because it isn't going like the video, so they hit it harder. But they weren't careful to support the tab correctly. Another stiff blow or two with the old framing hammer and rusty nail, and off goes the TG tab. "Oh, F**K!"

So now they need the Idiot Grip to cover their lack of finesse and experience and right tools for the job.

Not saying that people can never make a functional build..Just that they often don't.

Feedback Score
    This thread reminds me of when I suggest a new gun owner buy a Glock or HK as a first pistol then they come back with a Taurus because the internet sez “just as gud”.

What kind of "huge investment in tooling" do you mean?

Feedback Score
    I feel like a few folks are overreacting to the OP. He asked for advice: you gave it no need to pull your dingus out and wave it around. We don’t want to be toxic and turn this forum into another GlockTalk bubblegum-show. That said I agree OP you should consider buying a Colt, BCM, or SOLGW. I don’t have Sionics experience but I know there are a handful of other really good manufacturers that I have zero experience with.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    'cause folks watch a youtube video...It looks easy so they think they have a handle on things. "He just pounded that pin in, no problem...I can do that!"

But they lack experience and finesse and oftentimes the right tools. So when they get their framing hammer out and start to pound in the pin with a nail they found that looked to be the right size, the pin binds. They get frustrated because it isn't going like the video, so they hit it harder. But they weren't careful to support the tab correctly. Another stiff blow or two with the old framing hammer and rusty nail, and off goes the TG tab. "Oh, F**K!"

So now they need the Idiot Grip to cover their lack of finesse and experience and right tools for the job.

Not saying that people can never make a functional build..Just that they often don't.
    I thought Kyohte was referring to things like the Ergo Gapper and pistol grips that cover the same gap.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I thought Kyohte was referring to things like the Ergo Gapper and pistol grips that cover the same gap.
    No. Kerplode nailed it.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast