Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to build no frills, highly reliable *shtf* type AR.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    In this environment I really believe you'd be better off buying a complete rifle, BCM, Sionics, or Centurion if you can find something close to what you want and then ordering the various parts you want to add and wait on them. It's not a gresat time to be sourcing parts that aren't in stock anywhere.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I love building ARs, it's just a rotten time for it right now. Its also pretty ambitious to assemble a SHTF gun that absolutely, positively has to work as your first full build.

My first AR was a BCM complete URG on a stripped lower that I completed with BCM parts. It's been spot on reliable from day one. I also bought a used LMT complete 14.5 upper (bcg and all) and joined it to a complete LMT lower to create a SPM 14 - it's definitely SHTF worthy.

Andy
    My "go to" is a BCM, but my brother's LMT spm14 is every bit as nice. Both have always been 100% reliable.

LMT has this unique characteristic to their parts, tbh I'm kind of jealous. It's a fantastic rifle

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I love building ARs...

My first AR was a BCM complete URG on a stripped lower that I completed
    Andy describes mostly what I did. Great way to save some cash and get ambi controls. The LMT MARS-L will require some patience, but the stripped one isn’t a bad value once you factor the cost of adding FCD ambi controls to a standard lower.

Buy a BCM upper and reputable lower, or a complete BCM.

BCM’s are allegedly a little generously gassed these days, which can serve you well if the fantasy of SHTF ever occurs. Get one with a front sight post.

Alternatively, Centurion seems awesome. I have used their handguards and receivers and have been pleased.

As a wildcard, if you are equipped to check torque, etc, the IWI Zion seems like the absolute best value in the field these days. However, it does not yet have a block of street cred.

I will add an addendum:
    It’s fine to assemble the lower yourself as long as you use reputable parts and tools, but only really worth it if that’s the only way you get what you want. I like the VLTOR A5 system (and the reality of having every AR assembled as a pistol first), so all of my lowers were either assembled by me initially, or disassembled and reassembled with better parts.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 10-09-20 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
    So I'm simply looking to build up a nice quality AR with the sole purpose of self defense/shtf. When I say SHTF I really just mean something rugged and reliable. I shoot lefty so an ambi mag release, safety and ch are a must. Ambi bolt release not so much since I usually just use my trigger finger to drop the bolt. So far I've decided for sure on a few pieces of the build. The barrel and BCG.

BARREL
    The barrel will be a 16" Spikes/FN chf mid-length "optimum" barrel. Haven't decided if I want the A2FSGB and use a 9.5" free float or go with the single pinned and set screw with a 12-13.5" handguard. Either way same outcome.

BCG
    Looking to get a microbest. I'd like a fathers of freedom from PSA but they're out of stock. BCM or SOLGW will most likely be the BCG I choose.

MAG RELEASE AND SAFETY
    Geissele maritime bolt release
    Troy ambi mag release

OR
    FCD rear biased bolt catch with their standard length ambi mag release.

Other than that I'm still trying to gather idea's. First I'd like to decide on a forged upper/lower. I'd like to get a set made from the same manufacturer. Right now I think an Aero m4e1 lower with a standard Aero upper so I can use any handguard is where I'm leaning. Biggest issue is trying to find an upper and lower in stock from the same company.

I currently have a springco white spring and H Buffer so I'll probably start out with that combo and see how it runs once I decide on everything and make my orders. I also already have a BCM qd endplate and an ikickhippies endplate so that's taken care of whichever one I decide to use.

Far as the LPK and trigger I'm open. I think a standard mil-spec single stage trigger would suite my needs just fine. Maybe something like an ALG ACT or BCM PNT. I'd also consider the right to bear arms pnt 5.5 lb trigger since I used to have one and loved it.

The LPK I just want something basic that is non mim. Maybe CMMG or something like that?

Well that's just some of my quick thoughts and would love any and all feedback and ideas.
    The FCD rear biased bolt catch with their standard length ambi mag release is a good choice. They are designed to work with each other without interference. That is what I used on a recent rebuild.

As far as the upper and lower receivers, Aero Precision is a good choice as well. They are well made, to spec, and finished extremely well. In regard to the LPK and trigger, CMMG makes a really nice LPK and you can get it without the FCG (trigger, hammer, and disconnector). AS far as the trigger goes, I would highly recommend the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S (2-stage) with either the straight or curved bow trigger.

On the barrel and handguard issue, I would stick with the Spikes barrel you mentioned, but use a low profile gas block. As far as the handguard, I would take a serious look at the LaRue Tactical LAT. It is available in lengths up to 13.2" and comes in at $10 per inch. They are very robust and rock solid.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...ny-handguards/

I have one of these on a build I did almost two years ago. This also has the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S with a straight bow trigger and the LaRue Tactical 16" PredatAR barrel. I also used an Aero Precision upper receiver.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input guys. I'd have no problem buying a complete BCM lower and BCM upper. Issue is stock. I do know where I can get a stripped BCM lower and the comlete uppers can be found. Only thing holding me back from BCM is I'm worried I'll get a BCM lower that has the gen 3 pmag issue. Did this ever get resolved or is it even an issue? If I could find a complete BCM lower I could easily add the ambi safety and mag release. As I said an ambi bolt catch really isn't a must for me. Another poster mentioned the LMT mars lower. Would love one, just would have to make sure I get an upper that will work with the ambi bolt catch. Also stock is an issue on that as well.

Oh and I have a great gun-smith who I've became friends with over the last year or so. If I needed I could have him assemble anything I didn't have the tools for and for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    The FCD rear biased bolt catch with their standard length ambi mag release is a good choice. They are designed to work with each other without interference. That is what I used on a recent rebuild.

As far as the upper and lower receivers, Aero Precision is a good choice as well. They are well made, to spec, and finished extremely well. In regard to the LPK and trigger, CMMG makes a really nice LPK and you can get it without the FCG (trigger, hammer, and disconnector). AS far as the trigger goes, I would highly recommend the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S (2-stage) with either the straight or curved bow trigger.

On the barrel and handguard issue, I would stick with the Spikes barrel you mentioned, but use a low profile gas block. As far as the handguard, I would take a serious look at the LaRue Tactical LAT. It is available in lengths up to 13.2" and comes in at $10 per inch. They are very robust and rock solid.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...ny-handguards/

I have one of these on a build I did almost two years ago. This also has the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S with a straight bow trigger and the LaRue Tactical 16" PredatAR barrel. I also used an Aero Precision upper receiver.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.
    Those Larue handguards aren't that expensive compared to some other's. I was looking at the midwest combat rail and the mk14 which is expensive. Larue rail looks pretty good too which is a nice bonus.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Those Larue handguards aren't that expensive compared to some other's. I was looking at the midwest combat rail and the mk14 which is expensive. Larue rail looks pretty good too which is a nice bonus.
    If it helps your search here is the Midwest Industries SLH 14" for $117 at https://dackoutdoors.com/product/mid...at-anodized-14

10.5" for $110 https://dackoutdoors.com/product/mid...aluminum-10.50

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Another poster mentioned the LMT mars lower. Would love one, just would have to make sure I get an upper that will work with the ambi bolt catch.
    Any regular forged upper will work fine. The BCM Mk2 is the only one I know that will not (confirmed this myself with BCM). If you get into billet uppers, you will have to be more careful.

Also stock is an issue on that as well.
    V1tactical.com is your friend. Last time I was there, they had projections on where they were “in line” with LMT or something like that.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Well I went ahead and made 1 decision so I'll be building this AR. I went on Aero precision last night and they had some assembled uppers in stock. I ordered one of their standard mil-spec assembled uppers. Not the m4e1, just a plain ol mil-spec forged upper with fwd assist and dust cover. Buddy has a tool to square the receiver so I'll probably have him go ahead and do that for me since I mean, why not?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    V1tactical.com is your friend. Last time I was there, they had projections on where they were “in line” with LMT or something like that.
    I checked it out. Man how have I not heard of that site, holy smokes!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    I checked it out. Man how have I not heard of that site, holy smokes!

Can’t remember if they opened up last year or the year before. New, definitely caused some people to wonder when they first offered their LMT items. But it’s solid.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast