Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Looking to build no frills, highly reliable *shtf* type AR.

Feedback Score
    If I buy the Colt lower the only things I'll change are simple things. Trigger guard, Grip, norgon (arms unlimited knock off) ambi mag release, bad-ass pro ambi safety, bcm qd endplate then re-stake it. I'll stick with the mil-spec Colt trigger since this is going to be a "go-to" type rifle. The Colt's come with the 4 position extension correct? I like the 2nd and 3rd slots of a 6 position.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
    If I buy the Colt lower the only things I'll change are simple things. Trigger guard, Grip, norgon (arms unlimited knock off) ambi mag release, bad-ass pro ambi safety, bcm qd endplate then re-stake it. I'll stick with the mil-spec Colt trigger since this is going to be a "go-to" type rifle. The Colt's come with the 4 position extension correct? I like the 2nd and 3rd slots of a 6 position.
    just build out your aero receiver set if you changing out that much. build it how you want, it's ridiculously easy, so easy in fact that my 11 and 13yr old son built their first ARs during Covid. That was under my direction of course

Feedback Score
    Add my vote for build out the lower you have, since you’d be changing so much on it anyway. Triggers aren’t that hard to install, so you can still put in a great trigger of your choice.

Save the $400 you would have spent on the lower and put it towards your Upper.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to keep the Aero lower and build another with that. I want to have at least 2 AR's in case the Dem's win the senate which means we lose our semi-auto rifles. Not the ones we have but buying new ones.

Feedback Score
    You know I could always just take my stripped lower and all the parts to a gun smith and have them build it. That way it would be done correctly and still be the way I want. Then I could buy another stripped lower and use that one to learn to do it myself.

Feedback Score
    I know, I am crazy BUT the OP wants reliability in his SHTF rifle (this is a little off topic). I installed M*Carbo Extra Strenght mag springs in all my mags (USGI and Polymer). I have not had a malfunction in over a year. M*Carbo says their springs will clear up 70% of feed problems. It is an easy, cheap upgrade for at least those initial , favorite mags you never want to fail.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-p...ag-spring.aspx

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you're a novice at AR building and this is a serious use rifle--I'd suggest taking the solid advice you were given and get a complete rifle from one of the quality rifle makers that were listed. If you are serious about depending for your life on this rifle, don't cut corners, buy a complete rifle or at least a complete upper and a complete lower. If you want a specific suggestion, here's an in-stock rifle from a solid builder with a great reputation, this is what I'd get today if just starting: Sionics Patrol Rifle. Tip: If you get that rifle, the "upgrade to 2-stage trigger" option is well worth it, I have that trigger in another rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Actually because of the ambi requirements I would differ from others in the thread and say just buy an LMT and call it a day.
    Yes. Or a Geissele Super Duty (but more spendy). Or a Sionics, and just contact them after you've made your online order to upgrade selector and mag release to ambi, they'll do it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I know, I am crazy BUT the OP wants reliability in his SHTF rifle (this is a little off topic). I installed M*Carbo Extra Strenght mag springs in all my mags (USGI and Polymer). I have not had a malfunction in over a year. M*Carbo says their springs will clear up 70% of feed problems. It is an easy, cheap upgrade for at least those initial , favorite mags you never want to fail.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-p...ag-spring.aspx
    Sounds like a gimmick from a company that’s never been mentioned here. I’ve had Gen M3 pmags ever since they came out and never had a malfunction either, plus they’re actually designed by a reputable company.

OP, Colt lower for $400 isn’t bad in today’s climate and likely won’t get any better. Honestly I’d probably buy it and use as is until you’ve collected the parts for your Aero lower. The stuff you’re planning on swapping is like 75% of what’s on there... and aftermarket triggers are far from a liability as long as you don’t buy junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Sounds like a gimmick from a company that’s never been mentioned here. I’ve had Gen M3 pmags ever since they came out and never had a malfunction either, plus they’re actually designed by a reputable company.

OP, Colt lower for $400 isn’t bad in today’s climate and likely won’t get any better. Honestly I’d probably buy it and use as is until you’ve collected the parts for your Aero lower. The stuff you’re planning on swapping is like 75% of what’s on there... and aftermarket triggers are far from a liability as long as you don’t buy junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    have to agree on ALL counts here, well stated

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast