Thread: Looking to build no frills, highly reliable *shtf* type AR.

Feedback Score

Looking to build no frills, highly reliable *shtf* type AR.

So I'm simply looking to build up a nice quality AR with the sole purpose of self defense/shtf. When I say SHTF I really just mean something rugged and reliable. I shoot lefty so an ambi mag release, safety and ch are a must. Ambi bolt release not so much since I usually just use my trigger finger to drop the bolt. So far I've decided for sure on a few pieces of the build. The barrel and BCG.

BARREL
    The barrel will be a 16" Spikes/FN chf mid-length "optimum" barrel. Haven't decided if I want the A2FSGB and use a 9.5" free float or go with the single pinned and set screw with a 12-13.5" handguard. Either way same outcome.

BCG
    Looking to get a microbest. I'd like a fathers of freedom from PSA but they're out of stock. BCM or SOLGW will most likely be the BCG I choose.

MAG RELEASE AND SAFETY
    Geissele maritime bolt release
    Troy ambi mag release

OR
    FCD rear biased bolt catch with their standard length ambi mag release.

Other than that I'm still trying to gather idea's. First I'd like to decide on a forged upper/lower. I'd like to get a set made from the same manufacturer. Right now I think an Aero m4e1 lower with a standard Aero upper so I can use any handguard is where I'm leaning. Biggest issue is trying to find an upper and lower in stock from the same company.

I currently have a springco white spring and H Buffer so I'll probably start out with that combo and see how it runs once I decide on everything and make my orders. I also already have a BCM qd endplate and an ikickhippies endplate so that's taken care of whichever one I decide to use.

Far as the LPK and trigger I'm open. I think a standard mil-spec single stage trigger would suite my needs just fine. Maybe something like an ALG ACT or BCM PNT. I'd also consider the right to bear arms pnt 5.5 lb trigger since I used to have one and loved it.

The LPK I just want something basic that is non mim. Maybe CMMG or something like that?

Well that's just some of my quick thoughts and would love any and all feedback and ideas.

Oh, another goal is to keep this build as lightweight as I can given the barrel I chose. The optic will be a red dot- most likely a Trijicon MRO with a qd lower 1/3rd mount. Light will be a surefire scout m300 z68 tailcap. Other than that I don't plan to use anything else for add-on's except possibly a vert grip.

Feedback Score
    I started with a Colt LE6720 “Lightweight LE Carbine”. The Aimpoint PRO, Surefire Scoutlight, & Tango Down vertical foregrip added some weight though. (My LE6520 “Gov’t Carbine” is lighter but has a fixed carrying handle, otherwise they’re the same).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For your LPK: I built 2 lowers the last year, used Sionics LPK's, I've been really happy with the quality, function and reliability of those. Recommended. But good luck finding any in stock right now. Other options are the Colt LPK, BCM, Daniel Defense. I see one of each of those available on GB.

Feedback Score
    What is your price range? Any reason you are not going with a prebuilt option like a complete BCM or Centurion? Both will be lightweight and reliable.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You don’t get to have two identical threads in different subforums.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons