Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Look Up (Review)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Don't Look Up (Review)

A perfect movie for today perfectly made. It's modern satire at its best, almost a modern day Dr Strangelove meets Idiocracy. What would happen if a planet killing size asteroid was heading for earth in our modern culture run by complete morons? There's very obvious metaphors for what we have been dealing with the past few years (the meteor being covid) and it's very well written, acted, and directed. It has a huge cast who are all fabulous int this movie. While the political overtones are obvious, the movie does not beat you to death with it and leaves it to the viewer to decide where they fall on it.

Ariana Grande singing a song at an event (actually a pretty decent song too!) to make people aware the meteor is legit with the lyrics like "get your head out of your ass and listen to the qualified scientists, we really f%$ed it up this time" was classic stuff.

The movie is scary in the sense you can easily believe that's exactly how it might play out if a huge meteor was heading toward us with 100% certainty, but denial, greed, hubris, and plain old stupidity gets in the way. Grade A.

Last edited by WillBrink; 12-28-21 at 11:32.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Idiocracy you say?

What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I was wondering about this film. The first couple trailers I saw made it look like a regular ol' doom-and-gloom-and-of-earth disaster movie, but the oval office clips had me howling, funnier than hell. I will give it a go.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I was wondering about this film. The first couple trailers I saw made it look like a regular ol' doom-and-gloom-and-of-earth disaster movie, but the oval office clips had me howling, funnier than hell. I will give it a go.
    I watched it on Christmas Eve and laughed my ass off. You'll enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    Looks interesting. Unfortunately I only do a DVD subscription. I'm kinda primitive I suppose but it's my only concession to not watching television.

S'OK though, I got my giant meteor Vax booster last week.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Mark Rylance stole the show. One of the funniest performances I’ve seen in a long while.
    Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I watched half of the movie. The asteroid is actually a metaphor for global warming and not covid but the viewer can interpret it different ways.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKFAN View Post
    I watched half of the movie. The asteroid is actually a metaphor for global warming and not covid but the viewer can interpret it different ways.
    Yup, Lefty propaganda and insults packaged as lets go brandon. Guess who Streep/Hill are .....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieThom View Post
    Mark Rylance stole the show. One of the funniest performances I’ve seen in a long while.
    In a cast that solid, he still stood out.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFAN View Post
    I felt it was more a metaphor for covid, but the strength of that movie is they do an excellent job leaving it to the viewer to interpret as you say, and I'm fine with that.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I felt it was more a metaphor for covid, but the strength of that movie is they do an excellent job leaving it to the viewer to interpret as you say, and I'm fine with that.
    Absolutely agree and they did a great job portraying our modern society in terms of politics, big corporations, the media and pop-culture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast