Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M72 LAW's for US Army

Feedback Score

M72 LAW's for US Army

From today's DoD contract awards. I had thought that the AT4 filled that particular role:

Nammo Defense Systems Inc., Mesa, Arizona, was awarded a $498,092,926 firm-fixed-price contract for the full rate production of M72 Light Assault Weapon variants and components for shoulder-launched munitions training systems. Bids were solicited via the internet with one received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Dec. 19, 2026. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Newark, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-22-D-0002).

https://www.defense.gov/News/Contrac...ticle/2880108/

It seems that the LAW has been significantly updated in recent years:

https://www.nammo.com/product/our-pr...re-a8-and-a10/

https://www.nammo.com/product/our-pr...-munition-a12/
    Last edited by Slater; 12-20-21 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Maybe cheaper and therefore easier to field across the Army, hopefully. I really don't want to roll into WWIII without all of the rockets.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    LAWs have been back for over 10 years. We did a rocket range in the fall of 2010 at Pendleton (we shot the crap out of the then new LAWs). Lack of armored enemy targets in the GWOT made the armor penetration and size/weight of the AT-4 un-needed. Upgraded warheads make the new LAWs almost as effective as the AT-4. As far as I know the AT-4 is still in production and being issued just not primary for line units.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 12-20-21 at 20:04.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Who is the biggest threat to the US today, you don't want to waste a AT-4 on a deplorable's F-250.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I guess MBTs are fairly rare globally, while bunkers, improvised positions and technicals are far more prolific.

Feedback Score
    In truth, they both suck against a modern MBT. The AT4 is better than the LAW against armor though.

Lower price, lighter weight, and weaker charge help to make the LAW more versatile. Think of it as more of a general purpose "have a crappy day" package. It's really great for redecorating sniper hides without killing the neighbors, etc.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    In truth, they both suck against a modern MBT. The AT4 is better than the LAW against armor though.

Lower price, lighter weight, and weaker charge help to make the LAW more versatile. Think of it as more of a general purpose "have a crappy day" package. It's really great for redecorating sniper hides without killing the neighbors, etc.
    Probably would work pretty well against the hundreds of thousands of light skinned vehicles that near peer countries have too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    There's now a reduced caliber (42mm vs 66mm) version with a carbon fiber warhead, for a "kinder and gentler" effect:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Guys i know who went to Afghanistan in the mid teens were using LAWs. They said the weight and size made them far more useful in the mountains than the AT4.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The AT-4 was always a PITA to carry. I wonder if they improved the durability and reliability of the LAW? Always heard they were relatively easily damaged.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast