Thread: Practice You can Afford! KEEP SHOOTING!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Practice You can Afford! KEEP SHOOTING!

So, several of my shooting buddies have been pissing and moaning about "No ammo, I can't practice" blah, blah......"Yea, I TOLD YOU GUYS"......Past that, now what?....

Several of them took a shotgun class last fall with Rob Haught that I put on....So I texted them- "Go to Walmart- buy a case of #8 Dove loads- run you about $75."

Weekend of the 24th, we are having a combat shotgun shoot at a local, private, range. We will be doing several drills, we have access to a shoot house etc...

We will continue to practice "martial weapons craft".
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ This.

In a pinch, .22 pistols from holster, doing drills. Dryfire. Repetitious "sight picture/trigger control.
    Whatever it takes.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    In a pinch, .22 pistols from holster, doing drills. Dryfire. Repetitious "sight picture/trigger control.
    Whatever it takes.
    Even better, .22 pistols with a crap trigger and crap accuracy. Have an awful Ruger .22 DA/SA that you have to *work* on your fundamentals to hit anything 10 yards and in. Past that, the mechanical accuracy of the gun makes it impossible.
    REALLY makes you appreciate going back to your "real guns".
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    From what I saw on another forum, Walmart is closing out some sort of shotshells by Winchester ( I seem to recall steel shot so not suitable for steel plate targets) and then there is a Winchester rebate which makes the shells something like 1-2$ per box!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    So, several of my shooting buddies have been pissing and moaning about "No ammo, I can't practice" blah, blah......"Yea, I TOLD YOU GUYS"......Past that, now what?....

Several of them took a shotgun class last fall with Rob Haught that I put on....So I texted them- "Go to Walmart- buy a case of #8 Dove loads- run you about $75."

Weekend of the 24th, we are having a combat shotgun shoot at a local, private, range. We will be doing several drills, we have access to a shoot house etc...

We will continue to practice "martial weapons craft".
    Good stuff. Shotgun ammunition in my area doesn't seem to have been as negatively impacted as pistol and rifle ammunition, so I've been brushing up on my defensive shotgun manipulations, too.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^ This.

Whatever it takes.
    EVERY time I go to the range to shoot drills, the Glock 44 goes with me along with the S&W MP1522. I do 50-100 rounds of "warm up" drills with the .22's and then bust out the big guns for fine tuning. I'm still shooting every week.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Years ago, I set up .22 versions of my defense guns. A Glock 19 with an Advantage Arms .22 top-end. A Beretta 92 Vertec frame with the .22 factory conversion. And a S&W M&P-15/22. All with threaded barrels and cans.

Lo and behold, it was well worth it. It has also provided a lower-cost way to train some folks at work who have "seen the light" in the last 7 months.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Years ago, I set up .22 versions of my defense guns. A Glock 19 with an Advantage Arms .22 top-end. A Beretta 92 Vertec frame with the .22 factory conversion. And a S&W M&P-15/22. All with threaded barrels and cans.

Lo and behold, it was well worth it. It has also provided a lower-cost way to train some folks at work who have "seen the light" in the last 7 months.
    I did the same after Sandy hook, minus the cans and shot a bunch one round drills from concealment with my G44 today. That reminds me, I need to list my AA kit for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I built a 1911 .22 that checks most of my boxes;

Same frame as range/carry guns (EGW/Wilson parts)
    Same controls-2# trigger/etc.
    Nelson/Marvel Upper- locks back on last rd., inexpensive mags, 3/4" @ 25 yd. accuracy, feeds/shoots about any crap .22
    Fits range/carry holsters.

Downside is Optic mount is 3/8" higher than on my "real" guns.

Sure, you Glock guys can probably buy a .22 Glock precisely like your 17/19 whatever.
    For us that cling to our old ways, that's not the case. (Yeah SIG makes a 1911 .22, but it in no way shot like anything I'd carry)

The point is; this is nearly a ringer for what I regularly carry/shoot.

A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.