Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN Barrels vs DD Differences

Feedback Score

FN Barrels vs DD Differences

I did a search but cannot find any real solid answers on this so I thought I would ask here

Quality differences between FN ( real FN not PSA FN) and DD barrels... I'm looking for real world input on gassing, accuracy etc... Are they both about the same ? or is one significantly better than the other?

I probably would never shoot out either of them, but my main focus was the accuracy and how they are gassed ( which would lead to perceived recoil etc both equally being Mid Length gas system)

Any definitive knowledge would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    You're gonna hear conflicting stories of one being slightly more accurate or the other lasting slightly longer...

In reality, it's too close to call. I've been bouncing back and forth between the two on the last dozen or so guns I've assembled. I have some real FN and DD gems and then I have several of both that are just "meh" 2-2.5MOA solid shooters (which is fine). With the 14.5" and 16" middy's between the two the DD's are maybe 0.001-0.002 smaller.

IIRC, the 14.5" FN's I've had were 0.077 while the DD is 0.076 with a pin gauge. You won't be able to perceive much difference if any.

As far as accuracy goes, no to barrels can be assumed to behave the same. I've got 3x different Hodge FN barrels (all built identically) that behave very differently in what they prefer, what they tolerate, and what they don't like (in terms of accuracy) in terms of my ammo selection.

In short, get out of the weeds on this as it really doesn't matter much. I'd probably let price and availability be the driving factor. Build it up and shoot the piss out of it

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    In short, get out of the weeds on this as it really doesn't matter much. I'd probably let price and availability be the driving factor. Build it up and shoot the piss out of it
    Agreed. You could get a great shooter out of either. Since you mentioned gassing, the best ported middies (for smoothness) are BCM. But even a richly gassed middy shoots pretty good too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all for your reply...
    I have a smoking hot deal on a new FN.... just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to cry that I didn't chose a DD over it

Feedback Score
    i have and had both. The FN side spikes and BCM. the spikes 14.5 middy was a lot better for me than the BCM. The DD barrels i have had were better than both of them in the gas system, felt recoil, and accuracy. All the FN barrels i have had were 14.5 middies so i am comparing it to the DD 14.5 middies. I think one thing DD does that the FN doesn't do is makes the chamber the same time HF the bore. don't quote me on that but i heard DD is the only one that does and please let me know if i am wrong. I still want to get my hands on a Noveske CHF and a FN CHF to compare as well. As of now the DD barrels i have had have been just like the other where i can expect the same accuracy and get it. Gas feels the same in all of them. I will not tell you not to get a FN barrel. of the ones i have had will do exactly what i wanted but DD did it a little better. Just my experience.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Better to get the barrel profile and porting you want over the mfg between the two.

Feedback Score
    I think I will take the advice of BOTH Vicious and xFredX...cause it makes some sense... ( turns out the FN bbl was a Carbine gas... so thats why it was a good deal)... I want a lighter weight profile... so I am going to look into a DD w/ L/W profile..... I think that will be the best of both worlds for me.

I had a few BA L/W profile bbls and liked how fast they would swing and accuracy and gassing were both good... but I want to move up to a DD.

I will see if I can find one of them... I will make a offer on a used DD one I saw with 1500 rds on it..... it shouldn't be hurt with that round count on it

Thanks for your advice

Feedback Score
    keep in mind also some other barrel profiles maybe heavier than the DD LW but due to the profile it will feel the same while shooting. Example the criterion core comes to mind (not CHF) but hopefully we will see more CHF barrels that have profile like this.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "I will make a offer on a used DD one I saw with 1500 rds on it..... it shouldn't be hurt with that round count on it"

Ask yourself why someone sells a used barrel?? Maybe it's a dog.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "I will make a offer on a used DD one I saw with 1500 rds on it..... it shouldn't be hurt with that round count on it"

Ask yourself why someone sells a used barrel?? Maybe it's a dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast