Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White Noise Defense FOSSA 556 flash hider . . . your experience?

Feedback Score

White Noise Defense FOSSA 556 flash hider . . . your experience?

If you are you using, what has been your experience?

Did you use a crush washer or spacers?

What were you using before?

Can you tell a difference in the flash?
    Recoil?
    Muzzle rise?
    BCM RECCE-16 ELW Aimpoint T2, Scalarworks 1.92
    You need to be, not seem to be.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bone View Post
    If you are you using, what has been your experience?

Did you use a crush washer or spacers?

What were you using before?

Can you tell a difference in the flash?
    Recoil?
    Muzzle rise?
    I have only looked at the pictures so consider my opinion drive by at best. You are probably dreaming if you think it will reduce recoil or jump. Most 3 prongs do pretty good at reducing flash sig but some are known to be better than others. It's probably overkill on a MD like that to use anything other than a crush washer. Why don't you buy one, screw it on and let us know what you think??

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It looks a lot like a three-prong version of the Vortex flash hider by Smith Enterprise, but at twice the price. The only real difference beyond the number of tines I can notice is that each tine has varying amounts of material removed to prevent resonance.

Objectively like other open tine flash hiders (Vortex, BE Meyers, Surefire, AAC, Dead Air, Silencerco, etc) it'll be very effective at eliminating flash, better than a brake or comp on dust signature if you're shooting prone, and will offer negligible recoil or muzzle rise mitigation. For a dedicated flash hider that isn't mounting a suppressor a crush washer typically works best, but it ultimately doesn't matter that much. The Vortex G6 is nice in that you don't need washers or shims of any kind, as the design of it is self-tightening.

Regarding a "difference in flash," compared to what? If you're comparing to a bare muzzle then sure, it'll be night and day. But, compared to something like an A2 flash hider it won't be as noticeable unless it's on a shorter barrel. The FCD 6315KM on my 12.5" still occasionally lets loose a fireball when I'm shooting XM193, a very flashy ammo by itself, but isn't an issue at all on my 16" with an A2 flash hider.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I have been using them for awhile and it’s my favorite flash hider. Below is a review of it.

https://youtu.be/bpy4DEMrd2M

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have had one pinned on a 14.5 barrel since around 2013. Compared to an identical barrel with a pinned a2x it had noticeably less subjective muzzle rise. I believe there is some compensating effect, though granted it is small. Absolutely zero flash comes off that upper shooting in the dark. A2s on 14-16" barrels have mild flash mostly coming up out of the ports. No ringing. In my opinion it is superior to an a2 but whether the weight length and cost are worth it will vary from person to person.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    . . . Why don't you buy one, screw it on and let us know what you think??
    I think I will.

Biggy, thanks for the video!
    Last edited by Mean Bone; 10-10-20 at 20:46.

Feedback Score
    Doing a little more research I found this regarding just the flash hiding aspect. There's a chart HERE with the best at the top.

The article is HERE.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It is not a three prong version of the Vortex. On the Fossa, the prongs have a reverse taper to force gasses. And the bottom prong is much wider, giving it muzzle rise compensation. It is an exceptional device, but of course, longer than an A2.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    It is not a three prong version of the Vortex. On the Fossa, the prongs have a reverse taper to force gasses. And the bottom prong is much wider, giving it muzzle rise compensation. It is an exceptional device, but of course, longer than an A2.
    ^^This.

The FOSSA has noticeably less muzzle flash over an A2 without increased blast. I've taken a couple low light classes and it had less flash than any of the other MD present including some of the cans. I used a PWS shim kit to install one on my 16" SIONICS LW Patrol IIIXL w/ an A5 buffer system and it is one smooth shooting machine. I'm wrestling with pinning one to my BCM 14.5 ELW. I think the price is a little crazy but if that doesn't deter you I would not hesitate to recommend one.

ETA:
    Many 3 prong FH have that annoying tuning fork ring to them, the FOSSA does not.

A solid review...

https://www.blacksheepwarrior.com/wh...-hider-review/

Last edited by titsonritz; 10-12-20 at 13:39.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Impressive video!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast