Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canted noveske gas block

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Canted noveske gas block

I recently bought and installed a noveske switchblock barrel and NSR rail on an M5 upper. Installation was uneventful. I finished up the handguard screws, and went to admire my handiwork, when I noticed that the gas block (switchblock, in this case) was canted. I took the handguard off and inspected the barrel, and determined the gas block pin was drilled at an incorrect angle, causing the issue.

I emailed noveske, and received the following response.

"This shouldn’t be an issue. We hand drill each barrel and gas block together, with acceptable + and – fit tolerance. Although your switchblock favors one side, you should not experience any reliability issues.

Please reach out if you have any further questions!"

Am I being unreasonable to think this response is a bit lackadaisical?20201006_214907.jpg Picture for reference, but it is more apparent in person.
    Last edited by dewshe; 10-09-20 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    More garbage from Noveske. No surprise. Maybe Olympic Arms can buy them out.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Have you tried to shoot it? Any issues? Otherwise i would not worry about it. Truth be told though, for the prices Noveske charges, i would expect and maybe demand better. With the covid panic, it seems most companies are pushing stuff so hard, that they are all putting out some lack luster stuff.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'd be less concerned with the appearance or position of the gas block as I would what it is doing to the gas tube. That much torque on the tube could cause issues with fitment to the gas key on the BCG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For that kind of money I would be on the phone with them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    for the amount of money they charge for their barrels that seems unacceptable to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    I'd be less concerned with the appearance or position of the gas block as I would what it is doing to the gas tube. That much torque on the tube could cause issues with fitment to the gas key on the BCG.
    This was my thought as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    Have you tried to shoot it? Any issues? Otherwise i would not worry about it. Truth be told though, for the prices Noveske charges, i would expect and maybe demand better. With the covid panic, it seems most companies are pushing stuff so hard, that they are all putting out some lack luster stuff.
    No, not yet. Assuming the holes in the block and barrel line up, I can see problems down the road stemming from the connection between the gas tube and bcg key, being that they won't be connecting in a parallel fashion. Someone more knowledgeable than myself will have to tell me what symptoms I would expect to see when that became a problem.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewshe View Post
    I recently bought and installed a noveske switchblock barrel and NSR rail on an M5 upper. Installation was uneventful. I finished up the handguard screws, and went to admire my handiwork, when I noticed that the gas block (switchblock, in this case) was canted. I took the handguard off and inspected the barrel, and determined the gas block pin was drilled at an incorrect angle, causing the issue.

"This shouldn’t be an issue. We hand drill each barrel and gas block together, with acceptable + and – fit tolerance. Although your switchblock favors one side, you should not experience any reliability issues.

Am I being unreasonable to think this response is a bit lackadaisical?20201006_214907.jpg Picture for reference, but it is more apparent in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by dewshe View Post

1- For clarification, the switchblock was prefit and drilled for that barrel?

2- Noveske uses a drillpress and jig, whomever you received that email from has no idea what they are talking about.

3- Write back and ask what written policy they have for acceptable +/- tolerance for switchblocks, and as to see it.

4- There are multiple AR15 armorers on this board, including myself, and none of them are impressed with that installation if it is assembled properly.

ETA 5- I would wonder how the extension / index pin is in relation to the port, I would also wonder about gas tube alignment.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast