Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canted noveske gas block

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I had a similar situation happen to me recently with a more favorable response. I purchased a 11.5" assembled SOLGW upper. I noticed the gas block was slightly canted, so shot an email to their CS to get their opinion. The aesthetic doesn't bother me, as it's under a rail, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause issues down the road.

I was told that all of their assembled uppers are test fired, QC'd, and function checked before leaving their shop. He said the gas block was obviously missed on QC, but that the upper should function fine. However, he said he'd send me an RMA number to replace it if I had any issues or even if I just didn't like the fact the gas block was canted.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd be very interested to hear the measurements and what "specs" are. I bought a DSG Arms 11.5" pistol upper and can see the gas block is a smidge out of alignment. It's been sitting in the safe since I bought it(year and a half)and I have still yet to fire it. I'd like to function test this thing if work ever lets up.

Going to keep an eye on this thread.
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAZ View Post
    I'd be very interested to hear the measurements and what "specs" are. I bought a DSG Arms 11.5" pistol upper and can see the gas block is a smidge out of alignment. It's been sitting in the safe since I bought it(year and a half)and I have still yet to fire it. I'd like to function test this thing if work ever lets up.

Going to keep an eye on this thread.
    I'll preface with: I'm not a smith or armorer by any means. But, from what I understand, a slight cant will typically not hinder the gas pressure, as the gas port in the barrel is smaller than the one in the gas block, so even if it's canted a bit, it will still not block any of the gas from entering the gas tube. The size of the ports and the severity of the cant will of course vary from barrel to barrel, so I'm not sure if there's a universal acceptable level of cant, but I could be wrong.

As others have said, the bigger issue is what the cant is doing to the gas tube/gas key interface. I would check to ensure they're mating up properly, and if so, I imagine it should be good to go.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    I'll preface with: I'm not a smith or armorer by any means. But, from what I understand, a slight cant will typically not hinder the gas pressure, as the gas port in the barrel is smaller than the one in the gas block, so even if it's canted a bit, it will still not block any of the gas from entering the gas tube. The size of the ports and the severity of the cant will of course vary from barrel to barrel, so I'm not sure if there's a universal acceptable level of cant, but I could be wrong.

As others have said, the bigger issue is what the cant is doing to the gas tube/gas key interface. I would check to ensure they're mating up properly, and if so, I imagine it should be good to go.

I need to dig this thing out of the safe and take a closer look. I'm not worried about the looks much but function is top on my list. I agree and would think that gas tube gas/key interface is far more important over the long haul.
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So I got everything broken down, and realized that I made a mistake during assembly. When I was punching in the pin, I didn't tighten the set screw enough, and the block twisted on the barrel, causing the block to be canted.

I reassembled, and now everything lines up as it should. I didn't realize the pin could be driven in with the block out of alignment, but it can.

I still feel the response from customer service was lacking, and I have yet to hear back from Mason regarding the technicals on gas block tolerances.

Regardless, apologies for rustling feathers, if I did so.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I did the same with a Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel. Yeah if you don’t tighten the gas block set screws to set the alignment, driving in the pin can cause the cant.
    I also thought I got a bad barrel and gas block but reassembling everything caught my mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Now we can all lower our pitchforks, shovels, and sabers, and head down to the village bier haus and have a good laugh!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Other than the obviously-apparent issues that torqueing will cause from the offset GB due to improper installation, what's the problem?

I suspected an alignment issue. Good deal.
    Last edited by bamashooter; 10-15-20 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It strikes me that the fit of the pin must be sloppy to allow it to go through with a cant?

For me FSB taper pins will align the fsb properly. I understand this is not a taper pin, but it seems loose sloppy to me from what you describe.

All my pinned gas blocks I would not be able to drive the pin through with out perfect alignment.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewshe View Post
    So I got everything broken down, and realized that I made a mistake during assembly. When I was punching in the pin, I didn't tighten the set screw enough, and the block twisted on the barrel, causing the block to be canted.

I reassembled, and now everything lines up as it should. I didn't realize the pin could be driven in with the block out of alignment, but it can.

I still feel the response from customer service was lacking, and I have yet to hear back from Mason regarding the technicals on gas block tolerances.

Regardless, apologies for rustling feathers, if I did so.
    I've never had a Switchblock, so I didn't comment.

For their regular gas blocks the pin is so tight to install I've put it in the freezer overnight before the install. Figured it was the same and someone jacked the drilling jig up, although seemed like an amateur move I would do.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast