Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Canted noveske gas block

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproofwelding_1 View Post
    Is it really that big of a deal? I can see some of you don't like Noveske because of there price but I will say I have 6 or 7 Noveske barrels and they are great if you bought for the right application. You are bitching about a look it is a tool go shoot it and kick in a few door and don't worry about scratches.
    The issue was never about the visual appeal, but rather the functional effect of a canted block, and further, at what point the deviation would cause a failure of some sort. Failure either deriving from gas ports/holes not lining up correctly, or the gas tube/key connection.

The manufacturer (Noveske, in this case) was quick to point out that the block was within tolerance without ever measuring the deviation, and has yet to provide acceptable tolerances. How he could eyeball acceptable tolerance is beyond me, and seems like a liability to attempt.
    Last edited by dewshe; 10-19-20 at 15:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproofwelding_1 View Post
    Is it really that big of a deal? I can see some of you don't like Noveske because of there price but I will say I have 6 or 7 Noveske barrels and they are great if you bought for the right application. You are bitching about a look it is a tool go shoot it and kick in a few door and don't worry about scratches.
    What thread are you reading, because that isn't what I'm getting out of this one...
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Is the gas block canted to the barrel and gas port, or is the rail canted as to the barrel pin/upper receiver?

All of their rails, so far as I can tell via their site, index off of the barrel nut. That is more likely to be the cause of a misalignment than the block to barrel/gas port.

Take a pic down the length of the upper showing the relationship of the upper to rail.

There's not enough information so far to farm any kind of a logical opinion about it.

To that end, IMO a FAR superior arrangement is to have the rail index off of the upper receiver and not the barrel nut.
    Last edited by bp7178; 10-20-20 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    All of their rails, so far as I can tell via their site, index off of the barrel nut. That is more likely to be the cause of a misalignment than the block to barrel/gas port.
    if it's a noveske upper the barrel nut needs to be timed properly, but there is also an index/anti-rotation pin that is centered in the rail and the upper. other companies have that hole as well now.

im not sure if his aero upper has the same pin hole though
    Last edited by n4p226r; 10-21-20 at 07:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4p226r View Post
    if it's a noveske upper the barrel nut needs to be timed properly, but there is also an index/anti-rotation pin that is centered in the rail and the upper. other companies have that hole as well now.

im not sure if his aero upper has the same pin hole though
    It does not

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    READ THE THREAD UPDATE BEFORE YOU MAKE COMMENTS OTHERWISE YOU MAY JUST END UP LOOKING IGNORANT

Quote Originally Posted by dewshe View Post
    So I got everything broken down, and realized that I made a mistake during assembly. When I was punching in the pin, I didn't tighten the set screw enough, and the block twisted on the barrel, causing the block to be canted.

I reassembled, and now everything lines up as it should. I didn't realize the pin could be driven in with the block out of alignment, but it can.

I still feel the response from customer service was lacking, and I have yet to hear back from Mason regarding the technicals on gas block tolerances.

Regardless, apologies for rustling feathers, if I did so.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    READ THE THREAD UPDATE BEFORE YOU MAKE COMMENTS OTHERWISE YOU MAY JUST END UP LOOKING IGNORANT
    Agreed.

I'm locking this until the OP gets an additional response from Noveske, then we can open it back up. I'm glad you were able to get it aligned.

Signed - A SwitchBlock Owner.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345