Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Dillon 550c upgrades

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Looking for Dillon 550c upgrades

Just picked up a 550C to load 45ACP, 9mm, .223, and maybe more later on.

Going to set it up today, but just wondering what the consensus is on must have upgrades?

I've got an RCBS single stage and a Lyman turret for more precise loading, I got the Dillon to crank out blaster rounds en masse.

This is my first progressive press, any advice is welcome.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Upgrade to the 650/750. they are vastly superior, in my opinion, to the 550 due to them being auto indexing and having a case feeder. You can get a case feeder for the 550, but you can't run rifle brass in it.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    I started reloading years ago on a 550B, & they have added some great options over the years. I only added the strong mount to my setup but have considered the roller handle, bullet tray & low-powder sensor. The strong mount is the best addition in my mind which is why I added it couple of years ago, the others are more to individual taste.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE View Post
    The strong mount is the best addition in my mind which is why I added it couple of years ago, the others are more to individual taste.
    Agreed. I too run the 550b. The only downside is the priming system is complete trash. I prime off press.

Being a Type A control freak, I prefer the manual indexing on the 550.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    Upgrade to the 650/750. they are vastly superior, in my opinion, to the 550 due to them being auto indexing and having a case feeder. You can get a case feeder for the 550, but you can't run rifle brass in it.
    i would have to agree but i think he just bought the 550. It is still a great press. Only problem with the 750 is that is so easy to get flying through the reloads that you can miss something and not notice. I came from a lee 4 spot turret press and i never had one single issue at all. Since i got the 750 i have had a couple ftf due to not charging a round. I know its my fault and i need to pay better attention, its just so damn easy to simply pull the handle and not focus. So i have had to learn to pay closer attention. Training scars suck but are a necessity of screwing up.

Feedback Score
    Go for additional lighting whether its on the press or your bench area. That has always been a welcome upgrade. All of my presses get LED light kits.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses...I picked the 550 for the manual indexing, really. I want to keep an eye on things, this being my first progressive press. I will probably upgrade in the future.

The mount from inline fab was one of the first things l was looking into, the LEDs were also on the list.

Interested to here more about the priming system, @markm. I was looking forward to an "all in one" package, but nothings perfect I suppose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    Going to set it up today, but just wondering what the consensus is on must have upgrades?
    I have one of the roller bearing kits that fits under the shell plate... I'm not sure it's a huge improvement, but it makes sense to have a bearing there, rather than simply having the shell plate dragging along.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The only downside is the priming system is complete trash...
    I don't get it... I've been priming with my RL550B for decades, and I've hardly ever had any problem with the priming system.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    I picked the 550 for the manual indexing, really.
    Good call... Manual indexing is a bit slower, but if you mess up automatic indexing, then you have a helluva mess.

Feedback Score
    I have and use both the 550 and 650 extensively. I think the 650 is probably a bit “safer” but both are fine if you pay reasonable attention. Also, I have zero problems with the 550 priming system.

For the OP, I have a different spent primer cup with a tube to funnel spent primers into a container. Don’t remember which one it is or where I got it but it’s definitely a worthwhile upgrade. LED light set ups are fine but having strong room lighting is my preference. I’ve seen a few photos of guys who have adapted automobile back up cameras to monitor the shellplate stations. Looked kind of interesting but not where I’d go.

I’d just use your 550 for a bit and see how it works for you. If you find stuff that’s driving you nuts, then address it. It’ll work fine stock.

Feedback Score
    I've had a 650 for almost 12 years with the strong mount.

Added a rock chucker last month, and finally upgraded to the Inline Fab mounts with the QD plates. Also picked up the QD plate for the Dillon Super Swage.

The Inline Fab mounts are the bee's knees.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast