Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Dillon 550c upgrades

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    The primer system has given me problems, I haven’t switched out the return spring in forever. It seems to lag on the up stroke and doesn’t pick up a primer....

Some one said something about polishing the primer bar and even using Teflon lube for under the primer bar. I polished the bar well enough but haven’t used lube. Probably needs a new return spring.
    I oil it. Really.

Just put a drop of 15w-50 in its track, and a dab along the side, where it rubs on the frame, and then the primer bar slides back and forth smooth as silk...

NB: This is below where the primers drop and are carried, so there's no danger of contaminating them with oil.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghideon View Post
    ... Also picked up the QD plate for the Dillon Super Swage.
    Details (w/ pics?) please. Looking to pick up a Super Swage in the near future. My bench space is limited, & my 550 (strong mount & roller handle) takes 30% of the right side. Drilled the bench, & installed mounting bolts for my RCBS Rock Chucker. What I've done for the Forster trimmer, & RCBS CB sizer, is mount them on sections of 2x6 - them clamp them on the bench as needed, but I'd like to come up w/ a better (more easily engineered) system - for a Dillon swage.

OP: No reason to limit your 550 to blasting ammo only. The 550 is not only versatile, but fully capable of loading extremely consistent, & accurate ammunition. My personal 550 loaded rifle ammo benchmark, is 0.5MOA, & every once in a while, I even manage to exceed that. It's do-able...

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GCF View Post
    Details (w/ pics?) please. Looking to pick up a Super Swage in the near future. My bench space is limited, & my 550 (strong mount & roller handle) takes 30% of the right side. Drilled the bench, & installed mounting bolts for my RCBS Rock Chucker. What I've done for the Forster trimmer, & RCBS CB sizer, is mount them on sections of 2x6 - them clamp them on the bench as needed, but I'd like to come up w/ a better (more easily engineered) system - for a Dillon swage.

OP: No reason to limit your 550 to blasting ammo only. The 550 is not only versatile, but fully capable of loading extremely consistent, & accurate ammunition. My personal 550 loaded rifle ammo benchmark, is 0.5MOA, & every once in a while, I even manage to exceed that. It's do-able...
    I had a Super Swag for years, worked great but I was looking for something "better" & found this ! I have not received it yet but hopefully this week. This goes right on the 550,you can size and then take care of your primer pocket all in one step. Take a look, https://uniquetek.com/product/T1568-5 Lots of good info here but basic improvement/upgrades for the 550 are roller handle, bullet tray, strong mount or in-line-fabrications mount if you need it ! What's nice about the In-Line is you can get the one that take's different top mounts and just swap out the complete press in about 30seconds ! https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...ounting-system

Feedback Score

I still say that adding light to any machine is never a bad thing. I have great lighting in my workshop and above my press but there is always been a shadow casted by the machine itself. Before I added the ufo light, I never understood what I was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I oil it. Really.

Just put a drop of 15w-50 in its track, and a dab along the side, where it rubs on the frame, and then the primer bar slides back and forth smooth as silk...

NB: This is below where the primers drop and are carried, so there's no danger of contaminating them with oil.
    Ok, sounds like it’s worth a try anyway. I was always concerned about primer contamination.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GCF View Post

I want to start using my 550 for .223/556. Unsure if the Redding dies that I have would be ideal. I am sure that they will fit, still unsure if the process with them will be smooth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I had a Super Swag for years, worked great but I was looking for something "better" & found this ! I have not received it yet but hopefully this week. This goes right on the 550,you can size and then take care of your primer pocket all in one step. Take a look, https://uniquetek.com/product/T1568-5 Lots of good info here but basic improvement/upgrades for the 550 are roller handle, bullet tray, strong mount or in-line-fabrications mount if you need it ! What's nice about the In-Line is you can get the one that take's different top mounts and just swap out the complete press in about 30seconds ! https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...ounting-system
    I have a Super Swage as well that hasn’t been used at all. Maybe unique tek would be a better set up. I am sure it would be faster than my current swage method (deburring tool)

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    I have a Super Swage as well that hasn’t been used at all. Maybe unique tek would be a better set up. I am sure it would be faster than my current swage method (deburring tool)
    I forgot about this ! This is HUGE and worth the $$$ no more primers all over the place, you will still get one popping out once in a while but 99% go down the chute. I use a empty 1LB powder jug with a hole cut into it and the hose into it ! Get it,,its worth it for sure I feel !
    https://uniquetek.com/product/T1346-550 Also as stated a light is also a very viable accessory ! I have one that goes into the center hole on my 550 ! This is the light I have,I got mine on Ebay,maybe you can find one for less. https://uniquetek.com/product/T1669
    Also look for extra Tool heads on Ebay, there are guys on there that sell them and prices are very fair & free shipping. I have bought several and they are as good as the Dillons,just less $$$ !
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 10-20-20 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    Buy a 650 or 750! Best upgrade ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Usually vibrations/bumps from the dies in other stations would flip the primers around. I had issues with the primer magazine tube feeding too.
    I too have had a variety of primer station issues.

For that press, strong mount and roller arm are nice upgrades.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast