Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Dillon 550c upgrades

Feedback Score
    chamber145, could you post a better photo of how & which light you installed?? Cannot see what is mounted, but the bright light shining down looks really good!

Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post

I still say that adding light to any machine is never a bad thing. I have great lighting in my workshop and above my press but there is always been a shadow casted by the machine itself. Before I added the ufo light, I never understood what I was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    I want to start using my 550 for .223/556. Unsure if the Redding dies that I have would be ideal. I am sure that they will fit, still unsure if the process with them will be smooth.
    Can't see why it wouldn't be. Redding makes quality equipment, & should be fine, unless a small base sizer is required. Try a handful of brass first, to find out. I'm currently using an RCBS 2 die "AR Series" set (SB sizer), & separate Redding taper crimp die - as that's what was available. Still waiting for my Dillon 3 die set to show up.

I've got both Dillon 550 style, & older 450 style powder dies, so that I can use their automatic powder measure (550 die), or hand weigh - using the 450 die with set screw. The conversion kit powder funnel can be switched back & forth between the two different dies.

I would be interested in your Super Swage - if you decide to convert it into some $$...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I had a Super Swag for years, worked great but I was looking for something "better" & found this ! I have not received it yet but hopefully this week. This goes right on the 550,you can size and then take care of your primer pocket all in one step. Take a look, https://uniquetek.com/product/T1568-5

What's nice about the In-Line is you can get the one that take's different top mounts and just swap out the complete press in about 30seconds ! https://inlinefabrication.com/collec...ounting-system
    Thanks for the links! Still got the Super Swage?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GCF View Post
    Can't see why it wouldn't be. Redding makes quality equipment, & should be fine, unless a small base sizer is required. Try a handful of brass first, to find out. I'm currently using an RCBS 2 die "AR Series" set (SB sizer), & separate Redding taper crimp die - as that's what was available. Still waiting for my Dillon 3 die set to show up.

I've got both Dillon 550 style, & older 450 style powder dies, so that I can use their automatic powder measure (550 die), or hand weigh - using the 450 die with set screw. The conversion kit powder funnel can be switched back & forth between the two different dies.

I would be interested in your Super Swage - if you decide to convert it into some $$...

Yes the redding Dies should work fine,but I think you will need the Dillon lock rings. They are a lower profile so to speak,,the main locking rings on most sets are thicker and fatter I believe. I was trying to use a Hornady set and ran into a issue,swapped the lock rings out and I was GTG.I could be wrong but better check,it would suck to "think" your all set and start putting everything together and you run into a small problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Yes the redding Dies should work fine,but I think you will need the Dillon lock rings. They are a lower profile so to speak,,the main locking rings on most sets are thicker and fatter I believe. I was trying to use a Hornady set and ran into a issue,swapped the lock rings out and I was GTG.I could be wrong but better check,it would suck to "think" your all set and start putting everything together and you run into a small problem.
    I can’t use any rings other than dillons on my 750. Others are too wide and you can’t crank them down because they hit each other. Plus they are too tall and I can’t get them low enough. Good thing is dillons rings are relatively cheap so I keep a bunch around

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE View Post
    chamber145, could you post a better photo of how & which light you installed?? Cannot see what is mounted, but the bright light shining down looks really good!
    Sorry for the poor lighting. The hurricane knocked out our power.

Feedback Score
    Thanks chamber143, looks like a great way to add lots of light without adding something that blocks view or anything else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE View Post
    Thanks chamber143, looks like a great way to add lots of light without adding something that blocks view or anything else.
    It’s a ufo light. I believe that’s the name

Feedback Score
    chamber145 now that I'm looking at those small bright lights, am thinking of other uses for them around my shop!

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Here are a couple pic's of the light on my 550,hope they help. I have the 550 and the LED goes through the hole in the center of the tool head. 1st pic is the light sitting on the toolhead just so you could see it,others are one pic from each side of the press. Its more than bright enough !

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast