Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double feed cause and did I clear this correctly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    The issue is that the 1st mis-fed round didn’t get cleared because it probably wasn’t chambered, meaning the extractor couldn’t do its job and left it behind. So when the OP racked the bolt back, he picked up a second round and it also got jammed in there.

OP, what ammo were you shooting?

Sent from 80ms in the future
    He advised some type of M193.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The issue is that the 1st mis-fed round didn’t get cleared because it probably wasn’t chambered, meaning the extractor couldn’t do its job and left it behind. So when the OP racked the bolt back, he picked up a second round and it also got jammed in there.

That sounds like the feed lips lost control of the round before it could get a least part of it moved into the chamber.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The question is, what happened when the first round misfed? It only turned into a double feed after an attempt to clear the first malfunction. Usually a tap rack will clear a malfunction, but in this case it made it worse.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Double feed cause and did I clear this correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    That sounds like the feed lips lost control of the round before it could get a least part of it moved into the chamber.
    Or the rifle short stroked, and didn’t get the bolt fully to the rear, but far enough to grab the round coming forward.

There was a thread about it in the last couple of weeks. IIRC it centered around the buffer being too heavy, and causing much the same issue. But in this case it is a factory gun.

Edit - here it is

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Last edited by jbjh; 10-10-20 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The only advice I have is to skip all the bullshit and go straight to pull the mag, lock the bolt back, tickle the rounds out, reload.

Tap has only ever made a jam worse.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    To clear a double feed:

1.) Lock the bolt to the rear.
    2.) Keep muzzle up.
    3.) Strip the magazine.
    4.) Insert fingers into magwell to break anything loose.
    5.) Release bolt with bolt catch (ping pong paddle)
    6.) Insert magazine.
    7.) Operate charging handle.
    8.) Back in business!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with this.

It sounds as if the OP had a failure to chamber a round that may, or may not, have fed properly from the magazine. If the round did not fully chamber correctly, the extractor could not have had a grip on the rim of that round. The attempt to clear that round may have induced the double feed, because the first round wasn't extracted & ejected.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    The question is, what happened when the first round misfed? It only turned into a double feed after an attempt to clear the first malfunction. Usually a tap rack will clear a malfunction, but in this case it made it worse.
    I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who picked up on this.

As far as clearing a double feed, what the OP ended up doing was essentially correct; remove the magazine and manually knock the stuck rounds out. However, this didn't start as a double feed. What we really need to know is the exact nature of the original malfunction.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's called a SEAL Party. Get rid of the two offenders and take over.
    OP, two live rounds, magazine, which appears to be what you had.
    ID the mag, clean it and see if it occurs again, dedicate it as a trainer if desired.

If you have a bolt over ride and PROVIDED the partially feed round stayed in placed you worked the CH, unlikely the next round could be pushed from the mag as the first round usually forces it down slightly
    If you had a fail to chamber/lock and you monkey f'ed the CH, you could cause what appears to be a DF.
    Some users will cause these by loading and doing a press check, doing the same thing as above

Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    It was 2 live rounds both partially in chamber.. 1 above the other. Both maybe 1/4 in chamber.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I'd also stretch the spring a little. This is one thing I was trained to do, and it does help a lot.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast