Thread: 16 Inch General Purpose Carbine and Bonus Rimfire Upper

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

16 Inch General Purpose Carbine and Bonus Rimfire Upper

This is my "General Purpose" 16 inch 5.56 AR and a 16 inch dedicated .22 LR upper. I will concentrate on the 5.56 gun and then briefly cover the rim fire upper.

This turned into the great American novel somehow, sorry.

I decided I wanted a more up to date 16" AR with the ability to reach out a bit compared to my BCM-based 16" gun with FSB and MRO, specifically a lighter trigger, free float rail, and a LPVO. I wanted quality components, but wasn't trying to spend "botique" money either.

Components - used parts are marked with an asterisk:

BCM "blem" upper
    * Black River Tactical Light Optimum 16" barrel. A machinist at work pinned the BRT gas block. Comments below
    13" ALG EMR V3 MLOK rail - affordable, has a good barrel nut design, and are light. I wanted a full length picatinny and feel they stiffen the EMR
    BCM rail covers
    A2 flash hider - best bang for the buck.
    Sionics phosphate BCG - quality and I bought it on sale
    * BCM Mod 4 charging handle
    Sionics "gutless" lower with ambi safety, bolt catch, Magpul SL stock - great quality and no paying for parts you will replace anyway. Basically includes LPK minus FCG
    BCM Mod 3 pistol grip - love them
    LaRue MBT-2S two stage trigger with "heavy" trigger spring
    H2 buffer and standard BCM carbine action spring
    * Trijicon Accupower 1-4 - comments below
    Warne X-Skel fixed mount - affordable, US made, fairly light

The Black River Tactical barrel has some great features like optimum gas length, a great profile, hybrid target crown, and 5R Rifling. 1/8 twist works with most bullet weights. 16" barrels make a lot of sense, shortest length that does not require p/w or a tax stamp, decent velocity, reasonably handy. Barrel is 24 ounces. BRT is all about "gas drive" and it shows, this is a smooth shooter with zero tuning. It has been reliable and as accurate as I am with a 4x scope.

The gun weighs 7 lbs 15 ounces on my scale. Optics are heavy, no way around that.

I am very happy with the gun, and the only change I would/will make is to replace the Trijicon Accupower. I plan to replace it with an Accupoint, also 1-4. Much brighter and bigger/bolder reticle choices.

I built a dedicated .22 LR upper because ammunition was about 1/10 the cost at the time and cheaper practice sounds great. It's not perfect of course, recoil and blast are non existent and the bolt release doesn't work like a 5.56 gun (unless you use S&W mags).

Components:
    Sabre Defence stripped upper. Purchased from Numrich, does not have M4 feedramps
    Right to Bear (RTB) 16" 22 LR melonite pencil barrel, 1-16" twist
    RTB stainless bolt assembly
    Matrix Arms 13.5 MLOK full float rail - Light, cheap, small diameter, full length pic rail. Not a hard use rail but fine for a .22
    Nikon Black Force 1000 1-4 LPVO - Bargain at $200, very good glass, useful reticle, not daylight bright to me, weird tall capped turrets
    Aero 30mm SPR mount - I have had this for a while and I may have picked it up on the EE (?).

The upper has been very reliable (for a 22 lr) with CMMG and Black Dog mags and Bore Buddy extra power extractor springs. I don't shoot target ammo and measure the groups with it, but it's more accurate than my 10-22. I am guessing I have 5000 rounds through it. I have broken a couple firing pin springs, it's a known issue with the platform, so buy spares. I also have a Bore Buddy bolt weight, but have not shot enough using it to really comment.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-10-20 at 20:40.