Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best options for lightweight “duty grade” rail?

Feedback Score

Best options for lightweight “duty grade” rail?

Hey everyone, I tried searching for this so hopefully I’m not retreading old ground here. Been away from this site for a long time.

I’m working on a 12.3” AR build and I’m trying to decide what handguard to go with. The overall concept of the build is to be as light as I can get it while maintaining a “fighting gun” level of reliability/durability. As for the handguard itself I’m looking for it to be as light as I can get it while maintaining enough rigidity and durability that I can expect it to hold zero for BUIS and hopefully a future IR set up. Here is what I have been considering:

Faxon 10” carbon fiber. Pro: light, handles heat well, should be strong. Con: no built in rail means BUIS or laser need a Pic rail added which is another failure point and is counterproductive to weight savings, also have to add on sling mounts, a little short for the barrel length

V7 MAGNESIUM HYPER-LIGHT or 2099 ULTRA-LIGHT M-LOK HANDGUARD. Pro: lightest options, full top rail, integrated sling mounts con: don’t know much about this company or how durable these rails are

SLR ION Ultra Lite. Pro: most length options letting me maximize length, integrated rail and sling mounts Con: Heaviest option

Advise on which to go with or other options I should consider? My biggest unknown is durability, it’s challenging trying to decide what is durable “enough” for a serious use gun. Thanks in advance for the help, this site always seems to be the go-to for well informed posters and SMEs

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Centurion makes lightweight rails that appear to be very durable. i have a cmr on a 14.5 inch noveske lightweight barrel that i really like. no issues through a couple classes and probably 2k rounds. i am gonna buy one of the FSP rails for a carbine length gas system when they come back in stock. easy install as well

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The ALG handguards might be of interest. Nothing fancy, but should be light enough for you.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    Centurion

I really like slr as well

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    The ALG handguards might be of interest. Nothing fancy, but should be light enough for you.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    For what it's worth, I have a 10" ALG V2 rail on a pistol build and it's pretty stiff/solid. A given rail will be stiffer the shorter it gets.

Andy

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have the V7 Magnesium Hyperlight, it's light and looks strong enough, but the finish scratched easily due to Magnesium, not very hard use and I am already seeing scratches of bare metal.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Duty grade? LaRue LAT is pretty light,rock solid, $10 per inch plus they make a 11", just weighted a 12" on my postal scale which may not be the most accurate and it came in at just under 3/4 lb.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    My 12.3” wears a KAC URX4 10.75”. It is both light and solid.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would not consider any of the rails you listed as duty grade. KAC URX4, Hodge, SOLGW, Centurion, and Geissele would be what I would consider for "duty grade".

That being said V7 makes excellent products with machine work that is outstanding. If you are looking for lightweight Joel at V7 is the man to beat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I would not consider any of the rails you listed as duty grade. KAC URX4, Hodge, SOLGW, Centurion, and Geissele would be what I would consider for "duty grade".

That being said V7 makes excellent products with machine work that is outstanding. If you are looking for lightweight Joel at V7 is the man to beat.
    Thanks for the list of companies to check. I’m trying to remember didn’t Geissele recently have some sort of a debacle with one of their rails not holding a zero? Has that been fixed or is there a model to avoid?
    Last edited by VolFF93; 10-11-20 at 10:37.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast