Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Car/Truck Carrying Revisited

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I can comfortably carry a G19 IWB behind the hip and drive for 12+ hours. Pretty hard to draw while I'm driving, which was never really a concern until the police gave protesters a free pass to block interstate highways.

Andy
    I did, for alot of years, carry strong side IWB/OWB while driving for a living also.

Never had a problem with a good draw, you just have to experiment, find the technique that works best, and train. This was with full size 1911s and G17/23/19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Say more about this? What's an example of a state/reg that has a stipulations like the above, i.e. you can carry concealed this way, but not that way. Genuine question.
    Washington state is one. Even with a cpl, the loaded firearm must be on your person while in the vehicle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Washington state is one. Even with a cpl, the loaded firearm must be on your person while in the vehicle.
    Yep. For reference:
    https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

This also has implications for the open carry guys who don't have a CPL, they seem to be an active bunch in WA state. I've heard some interpret point (2)(a)(ii) as you COULD have it off your person while in the vehicle if you have a CPL. That's if you interpret point (ii) to have an implied "or" between it and point (i). Ambiguity in the law, who'd have thunk it?
    Last edited by maximus83; 10-12-20 at 15:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Read that again. No such limitation exists here. It is not saying it MUST be on your body at all times.

I'm in WA, plenty of us drive with a loaded AR "pistols" in the car, perfectly legal.

Plenty of folks drive with a loaded pistol in the glove box, under the seat, in the console, also perfectly legal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Read that again. No such limitation exists here. It is not saying it MUST be on your body at all times.

I'm in WA, plenty of us drive with a loaded AR "pistols" in the car, perfectly legal.

Plenty of folks drive with a loaded pistol in the glove box, under the seat, in the console, also perfectly legal.
    Which is a long-winded way of saying, you insert the implied "or". :-)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Carry it on your belt. Then it's always in your car / truck / etc

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    What if I mount an RMR on my j-frame?
    Only if it's your 22LR J-frame.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Gonna vote for AIWB while driving. This is most accessible while sitting, and you can move a seatbelt with the same motion that you might move a shirt out of the way. Generally I dislike leaving my weapon anywhere even in my own vehicle (exception is parking lot at work...nothing to do about that).

If your physical build makes AIWB uncomfortable, maybe consider a shoulder holster or even...yes...the fanny pack.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Please do not leave the firearm in your car. That is a very common method for bad peopel to obtain guns.

A good friend had two of his officers murdered with a gun stolen out of a car the week prior. It's kind of a hot button for me.

I'm with the others. I carry a Beretta 92X strong-side in a JM Custom Kydex holster for very long drives. Last month I had to do a 22-hour drive with that rig. I also carry an M&P 340 Scandium J-frame on the inside of the left ankle when I'm going on a drive longer than my daily commute to work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wore a P2K in a Crossbreed Supertuck from El Paso to Big Bend then San Angelo in the same day. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable until the end of the day, but also my whole ass was hurting. I like my Crossbreed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast