Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My “MK18’s

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My “MK18’s

Just thought I’d do a write up on my MK18 builds.

I never thought of myself as a cloner, but I’m friends with a lot of them, so here my two, not so clone correct attempts.

The first rifle the Mod 0 started life as Colt 6920HBPW

So a heavy barrel, 14.5 with and extended A2 pinned and welded.

I purchased this rifle with the intention of making a Mod 0 MK18, I opted for this over the traditional 6920 because I wanted the heavy barrel. I had spoken to the gentleman who is going to do the work and cutting down the barrel, I told him the flash hider was pinned and welded, he told me it would be an extra hundred dollars for him to do disassembly on the barrel since it was pinned and welded I couldn’t remove the barrel nut assembly or FSP. I said no problem I got this.

I used the dremel and took the pin off and removed everything and saved myself $100. Obviously since I was getting the barrel chopped down to 10.3 the existing threads didn’t matter. So I was rough with the dremel.

Once the barrel was chopped, I reassembled every, and already having the accessories on hand I was able to put it together, I prefer Free Float rails. And since I was already going off playbook with the heavy barrel, I choose the Free Float RAS from Knights over the drop it. Other than that, the build is Kosher Clone correct. Complete colt parts.

As for the Second MK18 or the Block II.

It started life as a 2013 Colt Socom. M4A1 without the property mark.

I then took MANY liberties, well cause frankly, I don’t like the Block II CQBRs.

First thing I wanted was a FSP. So I removed the barrel from the Colt M4A1, sold it and replaced with a factory colt 10.3.

Then I was able to get a chopped M4A1 RIS II rail from ChopBoss, chopped to imitate the MK18 RIS II FSP, since they are no longer produced.

Second I HATE EOTECH optics. But wanting to keep the Block II vibes I choose to build using a tan ADM mount, and a T2 with a FDE Tango down cover to at least give the color the right vibes. I then placed behind it the Eotech G33 as I do love those magnifiers.

I do love the right side light on the mod 0 so I want to emulate that as close as possible, I choose the surefire M300 mini scout, in an ADM FDE QD mount.

The Block two has the Tango Down VFG, but I find it’s too large for my hand to shoot comfortably, so I chose to retain the KAC grip from the Mod 0 but grab the taupe to match the ready of the build.

The Bolt carrier is a LMT enhanced carrier with the Colt internals.

SSA-E trigger

Both SBRs have Geissele Super 42 buffer systems in H3 configurations and run immaculately well.

Currently the “Block II” has a RC2 pending in jail.

I hope you like my custom take, with artistic liberties of the MK18 builds. Neither of them are clone correct, But they were never meant to be.

My Block two isn’t done, but it is nearing completion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 10-11-20 at 17:50.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I like them. I also like that you personalized it a bit.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    How do they shoot?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    What size did you spec the gas port on the barrel you chopped?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    What size did you spec the gas port on the barrel you chopped?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    How do they shoot?
    Great, especially with the LMT carrier. compared to my factory DD it’s night and day. The Block II and the LMT carrier in conjunction with the super 42 H3 tone it down to where its softer than my 11.5 BCMs, and I would even go as far to say it shoots equivalent to any 16” gun.

I hated every second behind this gun, it was over gassed with the og .080 gas ports, I got DD to replace it, then ended up sending a barrel that was ported at .074 and still felt like garbage

But I’m highly happy with the two I wrote about here. Great shooters.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

My “MK18’s

My MK18 from a few months ago is incredibly soft shooting, definitely moreso than my new MAC 11.5. Im actually putting an MCMR on it to make it my primary HD gun because I like it so much. Sadly that means it’ll rarely get shot.

Can you post a picture of the other side of the gun? Curious to see that rail chop without the light in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-11-20 at 23:15.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Can you post a picture of the other side of the gun? Curious to see that rail chop without the light in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got you, so the paint has worn a little from when I first got it, but the actual chop of the rail is amazing. The dude knows what he’s doing when he’s cutting these down, and he finishes the ends to match and it is a perfect match on my rail.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What kind of accuracy are you getting? I have an SBR with an actual Colt 10.3” barrel with FSB and the .070 gas port and have gotten accuracy results that have been at best inconsistent and at worst downright bad with it. Such were the accuracy issues I took the optic off and just run a carry handle and standard skinny carbine handguards on it as it’s been relegated to kind of an iron-sighted “SMG” niche at this point.

In fact I just got back from shooting it at the range about an hour ago because I had re-mounted the carry handle and wanted to check zero. With the irons I managed to put 11 rounds of Wolf M193 into a group measuring just a hair under 4” at 100yds, which is actually good by the standards of this gun. Groups measuring over 5” or more are not uncommon with this thing.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 10-12-20 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Circle10, they look good. The fact that they are not 100% clone correct is just fine. My Mk18 Mod 0 is not exactly 100% clone correct, but it certainly fit the bill. I chose to use a LMT 10.5" upper since the earlier Mk18s used some of them until Crane/NSWC started chopping down the 14.5" barrels to 10.3" and before Colt started supplying the 10.3" barrels. I retained the A2 FH. I have not convinced myaself to spend nearly $100 on a KAC NT4 FH.

Here are the specs on mine.

Upper Receiver:
    LMT 10.5” upper
    Colt Side Sling Swivel
    LMT Detachable Tactical Rear Sight
    LMT Standard Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group
    PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
    KAC M4 RIS w/ VFG
    Surefire Weaponlight
    Aimpoint Comp M2 4MOA
    Wilcox Ind. M68 Mount (p/n: 13600G01)

Lower Receiver:
    Nodak Spud NDS-16A1 lower receiver (Registered SBR)
    DPMS LPK
    Original M16 safety selector (modified)
    LMT SOPMOD stock
    VLTOR Mil-Spec buffer tube, buffer, and spring
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast