Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Less powerful-yet-still-effective 12 ga defensive ammo suggestions?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I roll with an early Benelli H&K Va import w/ the magic bolt & it holds 9...first 7 are BS & last two are slugs. Ya know, just on case.

Seriously gang, nix the bird shot if you want to stay in the fight.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in ...”

Against all common sense and past experience I bought a police trade-in 870. I’m back in shotguns - couldn’t resist.

Can any of you fine Gentlemen please recommend an ammo load which will still be effective in and around my small home but not jar my fillings loose? 00 buck I can do for about 40 shells, then I’m done for the day and need 2 x Alleve.

Will #4 work?

I’d like to avoid blasting through a wall, across the property, and hurting a neighbor. I like my neighbors.

Thanking you in advance for any guidance ...
    I’m a big fan of #4 buck. It’s a BUNCH if .32 calibers hitting at about the same time.

Feedback Score
    #4 Buck kicks more, not less, than 00. #1 slightly more than standard 00.

Why? Because more lead packs into the shell. Less air / filler space, more lead, more recoil for a given powder charge. If you want recoil fun try 3 inch 41-pellet #4 Buck. It's only about 820 grains of lead! (Versus about 478 grains for 9 pellet 00)

What your looking for is 8 pellet 00 or another load designated as "less recoil". They will have fewer pellets, less powder, or both.

Low-brass birdshot is great for practicing at close range. As are dummy shells so you can practice manipulation without recoil at all. Be carefull!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    I’m a big fan of #4 buck. It’s a BUNCH if .32 calibers hitting at about the same time.
    Fyi #4 Buck is .24 caliber / 20 grains

#1 Buck .30 cal / 40 grains

00 Buck .33 cal / 53 grains

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Fyi #4 Buck is .24 caliber / 20 grains

#1 Buck .30 cal / 40 grains

00 Buck .33 cal / 53 grains
    Thanks for the clarification. When I bought my Super X2 I ordered a bunch of #4 3.5 inch shells..... I still have a bunch left.... It's fun to shoot, but not a lot of them in a single sitting.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Maybe I am just old fashioned but for SD I keep Federal 2 3/4" 00 buck 9 pellet on hand along with some 1 oz. slugs, although the buck is my preference for hallway distances. For practice any low brass 7 1/2 shot works well and is cheap.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Same here & ammo comes from Fed LE...no need for anything longer than 2 3/4 vs having another round or two for shotty distance..

Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Maybe I am just old fashioned but for SD I keep Federal 2 3/4" 00 buck 9 pellet on hand along with some 1 oz. slugs, although the buck is my preference for hallway distances. For practice any low brass 7 1/2 shot works well and is cheap.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And I'll back Todd.K's recommendation of the Beretta 1301T. It is very choice. It's also about two kilobucks once you get it all set up with the appropriate Aridus and Magpul gear, not to mention an Aimpoint Micro.
    Think of it as investing in the future. If recoil is starting to become an issue it's pretty unlikely to get better with added years.

And a 1301T is serviceable out of the box, all the goodies can be added later if you want them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

I’m grateful for the all of the detailed and VERY helpful information posted, here - “thank you” doesn’t begin to cover it.

I really appreciate the knowledge and excellent references presented, I never imagined I’d get so much aid.

Thanks very much, Gentlemen.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Think of it as investing in the future. If recoil is starting to become an issue it's pretty unlikely to get better with added years.

And a 1301T is serviceable out of the box, all the goodies can be added later if you want them.
    You know, that is an excellent point. At 60+, I am definitely more recoil sensitive. Arthritis, accumulated injuries over the decades, etc.

I do love my 1301T, but it was a slow process to add all the Aridus goodies as they trickled onto the market.

And having said all that, I scored a ridiculously good deal yesterday on what? A Benelli M2, which is a recoil-operated shotgun. Such is my life.

I did get out this afternoon and run some rounds through the 1301T in your honor, good sir. The weather was too nice to not go make loud noises.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast