Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Less powerful-yet-still-effective 12 ga defensive ammo suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Although intended for LE only, the Hornady TAP Low Recoil 12GA 00 buckshot is the most pleasant shooting 00 I've experienced. Rated slightly slower velocity’s than the Federal LE Low Recoil, the Hornady has significantly less felt recoil. Hard to find, but a great low velocity/low recoil option for one's up close and personal shotgun work.
    Last edited by Grim.Patriot; 10-26-20 at 10:58.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Mediocre answer, but the Rio 9x-00 Low Recoil is decent, and I used to be able to find it cheaply in bulk. I don't know enough fully about terminal performance, but it's miles behind 5.56 as needed, but that's a load I was willing to practice with, and get just decent enough to conclude that the 870 was plan C at best.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it doesn't have one already, stick a Remington Super Cell recoil pad on it. They did good on those.

Flite control wads are slick if the barrel is compatible. I have one that works and another that strips it off somewhere and patterns it like any other shot.

Also, look in to Remington managed recoil 1 oz slugs @ 1200fps. Haven't tried them yet, but Brenneke has a slightly warmer reduced slug that I assume shoots well based on using their K.O. slugs.

If the flite control doesn't pan out, Remington makes an 8 pellet managed recoil 00 shell too.

https://www.remington.com/ammunition...l-rifled-slugs

https://www.brennekeusa.com/law-enfo...-home-defense/

https://www.remington.com/ammunition...buckshot-loads
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-27-20 at 18:22.

Feedback Score
    Ok, I'm a little late to the party so here's my 2 cents. The 870 (and Mossberg 500) have one of the worst stock designs in the history of shotguns. They just plain beat you up with recoil energy. The Magpul stock is not only a better design, but it has a very tall built in recoil pad that distributes recoil energy in a much less painful way. I'm partial to Fiocchi low recoil slugs and buckshot as training rounds. You can run high round days and not feel beat to $%&! at the end of the day. I've alse gotten excellent accuracy with a cylinder choke out of Federal LE buckshot with the flight control wad. At 25 yards I can keep the group well within the scoring rings on the B29 target.

You will get better recoil management from a gas operated semi, but most tactical guns won't run on low recoil rounds. I had a Benelli M4 that I foolishly sold, but it would not cycle on anything running under 1,200 FPS. AFAIK the Beretta 1301T and Mossberg 930 won't run on low recoil either. I just got a Beretta 1301 Comp 21" barrel so as soon as I get to the range I'll find out if it runs on my favorite Fiocchi rounds.
    Last edited by Sgt_Gold; 11-07-20 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My 1301T runs Fed LE133 and 1oz light target loads without any problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in ...”

Against all common sense and past experience I bought a police trade-in 870. I’m back in shotguns - couldn’t resist.

Can any of you fine Gentlemen please recommend an ammo load which will still be effective in and around my small home but not jar my fillings loose? 00 buck I can do for about 40 shells, then I’m done for the day and need 2 x Alleve.

Will #4 work?

I’d like to avoid blasting through a wall, across the property, and hurting a neighbor. I like my neighbors.

Thanking you in advance for any guidance ...
    No 1 and no 4 buckshot are your best bets.
    https://ammo.com/bullet-type/4-buck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My federal agency utilizes Winchester Ranger Low Recoil Rifled Slugs. This wont last long though....we are in the process of deadlining all agency shotguns besides the ones used for breaching.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Birdshot to practice or reduced recoil and Flight Control for the win. I do think so many of these new gun owners (riot control team) would be better off with a scatter boomer than buying a new CZ75 in many cases. Still an effective weapon. Most of us have better options but for a newbie, its a good fit.

Not saying the OP is a newbie, juts making a point the shotgun is still viable.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 11-14-20 at 17:56.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Birdshot to practice or reduced recoil and Flight Control for the win. I do think so many of these new gun owners (riot control team) would be better off with a scatter boomer than buying a new CZ75 in many cases. Still an effective weapon. Most of us have better options but for a newbie, its a good fit.

Not saying the OP is a newbie, juts making a point the shotgun is still viable.

PB
    12 Guage shotgun has been adequate for home defense as long as shotguns have existed. I would not say it's superior to a carbine but they are definitely easier for a shooter with limited experience to hit something with than a pistol.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Federal LE low recoil 00/000 buck rounds are awesome. Groups about fist size at 25yds through a cylinder choke on my M4. Nearly impossible to find now though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast