Thread: Side Charger fix in 6AL4v

Feedback Score

Side Charger fix in 6AL4v

Hi all. Been lurking here for a bit but this is my first post. Also searched this topic but found nothing, so here goes:
    I'm a machinist, but know guns well enough to gunsmith a tad. Been building AR's for 20 years and tweeking them up.
    I bought a side charging AR because I was intrigued with the idea, and to build a quiet Coyote leveling 300AAC. We have lots of those around the chicken houses these days.
    After assembly/disassembly of the bolt handle a few times, I noticed it was mushrooming out considerably. It was also shooting loose. Now if this mushrooming were to continue the socket head screw could go deep enough into the carrier to stop the bolt. Not good. There needed to be a way to limit the depth the treads could go into the carrier. Also I was rapping my knuckles on the QD scope levers and my hand would slip off the lightly knurled factory handle.
    Those import YSF screws can be brittle as well. The last thing I wanted was to snap that off in the carrier!
    So, I got the longest shoulder bolt (Grade 12.9) in 10-32 I could find and turned a Titanium cover it could fit into.

https://carcrusher.imgbb.com (pic 1662 & 1663).

To take it 100% I decided to grind the bolt carrier flat (pic 1692 & 1694) in the mill and teflon coat the thing with GunKote.
    I had not noticed before but the carrier was tapered ever so slightly at the threaded hole.
    That flat will let the shoulder seat evenly and it shouldn't shoot loose now. Plenty of friction surface.
    The bolt is super strong (I can stand on it) and the Ti won't corrode. I left the grooves semi-sharp (no finishing step after turning) to grab my finger or the web of my left hand. Now I can tell by feel where my hand is without looking for the handle. My hand misses the QD levers and it didn't shoot loose either.

The whole goal of this was build a weapon i could charge from port arms carry and to never let the grip leave my right hand.
    The journey never ends does it.
    Last edited by carcrusher; 10-12-20 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    Machining looks good. Well done

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Very neat.

Feedback Score
    12.9 fasteners are prone to hydrogen embrittlement when exposed to elevated temperatures and open atmosphere. Don’t be surprised if after awhile you see fatigue fractures at the last engaged thread. You’d be better off buying bar stock of the proper material.

Feedback Score

Prototype error

Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    12.9 fasteners are prone to hydrogen embrittlement when exposed to elevated temperatures and open atmosphere. Don’t be surprised if after awhile you see fatigue fractures at the last engaged thread. You’d be better off buying bar stock of the proper material.
    Sorry, should have changed that in the description. That was a prototype spec that carried over in writing only. These are all Grade 8 fasteners in the production handles. There are also 18.8 Stainless bolts as an option for boat/bayou guns that take a soaking.

https://www.greensladeandcompany.com...Appearance.pdf

https://carcrusher.imgbb.com

Coming soon, Ti hand guards.