Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mags that will reliably feed M855A1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    M855A1 causing damage to feed ramps was basically fake news. You can find the thread on lightfighter still but basically someone took some photos way out of context and it blew up into something completely false.
    Yeah the feed ramps but also the barrel extension, right before the round enters the chamber itself. Granted, if memory serves the chewed-up extension pic I saw was from a USMC M27 (HK).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve personally seen damage on an upper receiver for an M16a4 that looked like it could have been caused by the tips of ammo impacting It. The unit had beat to shit mags, and I was not impressed by their rifle maintenance. I have no way of verifying that the damage was caused by a1 ammo, but it IS what they were shooting. I kinda wonder if someone was having some sort of stoppage or something. It had no stoppages that day. This was a few years ago. Its been a non-issue in any other weapon that I’ve seen since, including other M16a4’s.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    It's around if you're willing to pay $2-3 per round.
    Ammo requiring a specific mag is worth dog balls to me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    It's also widely known that the port pressure is much higher on this round. It's extremely hard on the 416/m27.

Considering the port pressure on an M4 is 17,000 psi and on an M16 it's 10,000 PSI (M855 not A1)

it sounds like this round is hard on everything, the original m855 ammo already wore an M4 faster than an M16

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MikhailBarracuda91; 10-13-20 at 08:33.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Ammo requiring a specific mag is worth dog balls to me.
    See above. I shoot a fair bit of this stuff, and I’m not convinced it REQUIRES a specific mag.

Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    It's also widely known that the port pressure is much higher on this round. It's extremely hard on the 416/m27.

Considering the port pressure on an M4 is 17,000 psi and on an M16 it's 10,000 PSI (M855 not A1)

it sounds like this round is hard on everything, the original m855 ammo already wore an M4 faster than an M16

I measured an 88fps delta in 16”. 5 rnd each sample. Strangely, I haven’t seen a broken bolt in a while.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-13-20 at 09:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Since the Okay Surefeed E2 has been mentioned, I obtained some of these, new in the wrapper, but haven't used them. From the pictures I have seen, they angle the round higher up, seemingly to avoid contact with the lower area of the feed ramp. I don't see this as a problem, but how would they work for XM193 or even normal M855?
    I bought 10 of the Surefeed E2 magazines and I have shot XM193 just fine. I like the texture of magazines as well. I also have shot 60 rounds of Gold Dot JSP which also shoot fine. That was before the quarantine. I did go to the indoor range a few times and I shoot M193 rounds now since Gold Dot JSP are hard to come by now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    See above. I shoot a fair bit of this stuff, and I’m not convinced it REQUIRES a specific mag.

I measured an 88fps delta in 16”. 5 rnd each sample. Strangely, I haven’t seen a broken bolt in a while.
    I know it's very accurate ammo! Made to a very high standard in terms of the quantity it's manufactured in. I do recall hearing that it's meant to give similar ballistics to a 20" barrel while shooting it from a 14.5"

Feedback Score

IIRC didn't later lots of A1 get throttled back a tad to reduce some of the pressure?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    IIRC didn't later lots of A1 get throttled back a tad to reduce some of the pressure?
    Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I’ve personally seen damage on an upper receiver for an M16a4 that looked like it could have been caused by the tips of ammo impacting It. The unit had beat to shit mags, and I was not impressed by their rifle maintenance. I have no way of verifying that the damage was caused by a1 ammo, but it IS what they were shooting. I kinda wonder if someone was having some sort of stoppage or something. It had no stoppages that day. This was a few years ago. Its been a non-issue in any other weapon that I’ve seen since, including other M16a4’s.
    M16A4 receivers dont have M4 feed ramps, having garbage mags with any ammo is eventually going to damage the receiver given enough rounds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast