Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Can a jet on a treadmil fly?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, like stated it was a fun exercise & got both sides...not sure why it's worth getting riled up.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Never posted before and will never post it again though I find it interesting until some get condensending and obtuse about it.
    Last edited by Artos; 10-18-20 at 16:06.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    One man shoots a .45 while standing on a treadmill while another shoots 9mm while standing on roller skates. The treadmill will move backward to match the velocity of the bullet. Which man is wearing the more effective camo pattern?

Discuss.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    One man shoots a .45 while standing on a treadmill while another shoots 9mm while standing on roller skates. The treadmill will move backward to match the velocity of the bullet. Which man is wearing the more effective camo pattern?

Discuss.
    At 850 fps rearward velocity, the 45 shooter will become a camo pattern.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Heavy jet driver here with almost 30 years of flying under my belt... Given the treadmill is as long as the standard runway for control purposes...

As long as the jet is not tied down/back and the wheel brakes are off, it will accelerate forward under it's own power. The wheels will spin faster than normal though. Regardless how fast the treadmill spins, the plane will accelerate to a certain point until the wheels explode... The maximum tire speed on most large transport category aircraft is 195 knots. Assuming the plane gained enough "air speed" to generate lift before the tires blow up, she'll fly.
    This guy gets it. You sir, have earned a rare LIKE from Wolf Hollow Tech.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post

Discuss.
    Because ice cream got no bones
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Heavy jet driver here with almost 30 years of flying under my belt... Given the treadmill is as long as the standard runway for control purposes...

As long as the jet is not tied down/back and the wheel brakes are off, it will accelerate forward under it's own power. The wheels will spin faster than normal though. Regardless how fast the treadmill spins, the plane will accelerate to a certain point until the wheels explode... The maximum tire speed on most large transport category aircraft is 195 knots. Assuming the plane gained enough "air speed" to generate lift before the tires blow up, she'll fly.
    Your explanation was spot on, especially about the tire speeds and overcoming friction of the gear assemblies.

I had to sit in bed and stare at the ceiling for awhile before I realized ya’ll were correct.

I shall go forth now and eat some humble pie.

Thanks Will for the brain teaser.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    stuff
    Remind me never to get in an airplane with you . . . .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Because ice cream got no bones
    WoW.... middle school memories right there!!!!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920