Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New AR15A3 Build - pics

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VAPatriot1791 View Post
    Better than your average mil-spec trigger. The target is 75 yards; the high flyer was my fault. Just off of a front bag rest. Always wanted a "classic" AR 20" rifle; keeping this one as is. So much fun to shoot. The HBAR barrel is definitely noticeably heavier than my 16" carbines, but...
    My google-fu is weak and I had trouble looking up the weight for 20" Hbar barrels. Not taking mine apart just to weight the barrel... My 16" bull barrels clock in at about 3lbs on the money (barrel and extension only).

The Del-Ton barreled upper is a 1/9 twist which is fine for me; I typically only shoot out to 100 yards, and most of my ammo is 55 - 62 gr stuff which is perfect for 1/9. It isn't chrome lined, but I'm fine with that too; chrome lining doesn't really matter with my volume of shooting and the chrome-moly steel is accurate.
    My 20" Colt Hbar is a 1/9" twist. My 6721 (the Colt 16" 'carbine length' Hbar) - is a 1/9" twist. Majority of my 16" bull barrels are 1/9" twist...

You nailed it as well about the chrome lining and how it relates to accuracy.

Feedback Score
    double tap...

Feedback Score
    Nice. I like it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    My google-fu is weak and I had trouble looking up the weight for 20" Hbar barrels. Not taking mine apart just to weight the barrel... My 16" bull barrels clock in at about 3lbs on the money (barrel and extension only).

My 20" Colt Hbar is a 1/9" twist. My 6721 (the Colt 16" 'carbine length' Hbar) - is a 1/9" twist. Majority of my 16" bull barrels are 1/9" twist...

You nailed it as well about the chrome lining and how it relates to accuracy.
    Criterion says 2.85 lbs/45 Oz for a bare 20" HBAR barrel. I have seen 54 Oz thrown around, that may be with FSB, barrel nut, slip ring, FH, and sling swivel. Give or take a pound heavier than an A2 profile 20"

I asked about chrome lining, twist and the barrel in general because Del-ton is not discussed much here and I am curious.

The 1/9 would be fine for the vast majority of the shooting I do.

I disagree that chrome lining would have a significant affect on accuracy in the price range of OP's barrel, but the only advantage for me on an A2 type build would be corrosion resistance anyway.

I like OP's build and would love to shoot an open sight HBAR again, even knowing OP would out shoot me.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-15-20 at 07:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice build. I will say that it is more akin to an A4 configuration with the exception of the 1/9 HBAR.

Here are mine.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAPatriot1791 View Post
    people knocking economical yet good quality components without much real reason or experience...
    I recall plenty of people responding to crap components at "economical prices", but if you are happy with your results it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you can find good parts cheap, that is fantastic.

I don't care what people think about my weapons, or the components I use. If there was a need to explain what I used and why I used certain parts, I would happily do it. If that means it was cheap stuff for pictures, or expensive stuff for safe queens, it shouldn't matter to anyone else. I have an Olympic Arms carbine that runs fantastic, I think I spent $160 bucks on it total.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Nice build. I will say that it is more akin to an A4 configuration with the exception of the 1/9 HBAR.

Here are mine.

You are a sexy bitch!!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nice build.

What makes you want to call it an A3?

An A3 was a 20” full auto, some were converted A2s, some were A4s.

Feedback Score
    I'll throw in some support here.

A DIY Frankenbuild. DPMS 1/9 HBar barrel. PSA stripped lower. PSA Premium BCG. PSA carry handle. AR-Stoner lower parts kit. AR Stoner upper. MagPul furniture.

Shoots great.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post

Here are mine.

Love them!! Reminds me of the 80/90's in the Army! Although I carried a f-ing 60.... 22 pounds of PIG misery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast