Thread: VCOG 1-8 better then the Vortex Razor 1-10?

Feedback Score

VCOG 1-8 better then the Vortex Razor 1-10?

Just picked up a VCOG 1-8 and I really like it. Compared to my Vortex Razor Gen 3 I think it may be better. It is only about 3 oz heavier compared to the Vortex when you include the mount. The eye box is more forgiving for sure on the VCOG and at max magnification the VCOG is better to my eye. It was the same price as the Vortex when you factor in the mount. Going to take it to the range tomorrow hopefully. As of right now if you made me chose just one I would take the VCOG. Not a lot of info on this Optic online but a buddy of mine went to shot show and raved about it so I took a chance on it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Solid review. How about reporting back when you’ve actually shot the thing before giving it such high praise?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Iceguy
    I look forward to hearing the good, bad, and ugly in the vcog.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Apparently the Marine Corps has adopted the VCOG 1-8 as our new optic, so I'm curious to see how you like it. If you can post pictures, more comments and details, etc, that would be good.
    I recently bought the Vortex Razor Gen III, and really like it. Yes, the eye box and clarity are not as good, but the reticle, illumination, and weight are why it replaced my AccuPower 1-8.
    Last edited by masakari; 10-14-20 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For me the reticle is a complete non starter and keeps the VCOG out of any meaningful discussion. And with the other offering out there I don’t see any reason to yield on that even if the VCOG is excellent in other categories. Of Trijicon fixes the reticle they may be into something tho.

Feedback Score
    What’s wrong with the reticle? I think the VCOG’s reticle is an improvement over the older 1-6 VCOG reticle and it solved the problem people had with the 1-8 Accupower. The only thing I could think of on 1x the center point inside the segmented circle is a bit small. I have the 1-8 VCOG in mrad and 2 1-8 Accupower in MOA. If you’re complaining that there is no grid style reticle I could see that but honestly how often are most people shooting and holding for wind? I know you can argue “well it was built for the military” but honestly most of the marines fielding this won’t be holding for wind. Most soldiers and marines, even infantry dudes and special operations guys are not gun nerds and shoot all the time at work or even on their own time. I’ve looked through the 1-10 razor and I like the reticle on 10x but once you get past 6x or 7x the image is like you have sunglasses on. The light transmission isn’t as good as I thought it would be. I think it’s a good optic but that’s my gripe about the razor 1-10.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Solid review. How about reporting back when you’ve actually shot the thing before giving it such high praise?
    Assuming the optic is mounted to a rifle...eye box, field of view, glass clarity, reticle, and magnification can be assessed without firing. Tell me, aside from turret tracking, what information were you hoping to obtain from live fire?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Assuming the optic is mounted to a rifle...eye box, field of view, glass clarity, reticle, and magnification can be assessed without firing. Tell me, aside from turret tracking, what information were you hoping to obtain from live fire?
    How about target acquisition? Reticle usability?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I just got my vcog 1-8 yesterday and only limited to first impression type of information, but I would like to give my thoughts on this optic. I don't regret getting it, the glass clarity thus far is awesome I do have a Kahles k16i and to me at least are equal. The vcog is a massive optic though compared to the Kahles and of course much heavier. I do see the merits of the vcog though in that its ment for combat to deliver rounds from close to intermediate ranges. I don't see it as a precision optic, in that there are no hash marks to dial, im sure much more competent shooters would be able to work magic with this thing that is comprable to more precision based optics like the Razor Gen 3. I see this as a more layman zero and just hold with the reticle.

Unfortunately at the moment the upper that I intend to mount this guy on isn't here yet. I'm still waiting 20+ weeks on a Triarc 12.5 upper. So shooting and reports on target acquisition is out of reach for now but again I like this thing and I've already replaced the mount with a Geissele acog mount to lighten up so right now I'm looking at around 28-29 oz of total weight.