Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about new A2 or A1 upper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thinking about new A2 or A1 upper.

I've been looking for a transitional A1 upper or even a A2 upper for a potential build. I am looking for something of good quality. Fulton Armory has the A2 upper and was wondering about the quality. Anyone here with experience with those?

Any ideas where one might find a A1 upper with FA and deflector ?

Thank you

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I went with the Fulton A2 upper for my 727 style build and the Fulton C7(A1 with deflector) for a 723 style build because both uppers had the option of getting them with M4 feed ramps, which I wanted because I was pairing them with M4 barrels.

So to answer your other question, yes Fulton does offer A1 w/brass deflector uppers, with or without M4 ramps.

As for other sources, Luth AR and Windham Weaponry offer A1 w/ deflector uppers as well, with and without ramps (I used a Windham on my 733 clone) and Brownells offers them too last I knew but without M4 ramps only I think.

Or you could try and hunt down an original Colt as well, they are out there.

The Fulton uppers seem fine overall though. Although one thing I will mention is that subsequently I have heard (not confirmed) that Fulton cuts the M4 ramps in their uppers post-anodizing and then just paints the ramps or something. Not ideal, but my Colt 6520 also had its feed ramps in the upper cut post-anodizing, which was a somewhat common thing with 6520s at one point. Ramps that are cut pre-anodizing are obviously preferable.
    If you aren’t looking for M4 ramps in your upper at all though, it’s a moot point.

Only other thing I’ve noticed is that the rear sight elevation wheel on the Fulton A2 upper doesn’t “bottom out” at 8/3, but can instead rotate down several more clicks.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 10-16-20 at 09:55.

Feedback Score
    Is Windam Weaponry still viable as a company or are they done? Just curious. I thought I heard or maybe read somewhere that the company was not doing well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    From a business standpoint, Windham is fine as far as I know. Bushmaster, which is what Windham used to be prior to Bushmaster being bought by Freedom Group, being moved to a different state, and getting targeted by a lawsuit post-Sandy Hook, is the one that seems to have mostly ceased to exist. Bushmaster’s quality control dropped after the move out of Maine IIRC.
    It’s why a lot of people are so nostalgic for the “old Bushmaster, back when they were good.” and view Windham as essentially the reincarnation of that. However I seem to recall Bushmaster’s QC being questionable at times even before being bought by Freedom Group. And Windham seems to engage in some similar corner cutting, at least with regard to their complete rifles. I don’t have an issue buying specific individual parts from them but I don’t think I’d buy one of their whole guns if I had another option.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I've been looking for a transitional A1 upper or even a A2 upper for a potential build. I am looking for something of good quality. Fulton Armory has the A2 upper and was wondering about the quality. Anyone here with experience with those?

Any ideas where one might find a A1 upper with FA and deflector ?

Thank you
    C7 type upper receiver

https://retrorifles.com/c7-c8-m16a1e1-upper-receiver/

https://www.tntesales.com/c7-c8-m16e...with-m4-ramps/

https://www.kakindustry.com/kak-m16-...upper-receiver

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/ura-a1/
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Is Windam Weaponry still viable as a company or are they done? Just curious. I thought I heard or maybe read somewhere that the company was not doing well.
    I would consider Windham Weaponry very viable. I have bought many barrels and some other parts from them over the past few years. Never an issue. Their C7 upper is out of stock right now, but it would be a good choice as it is complete. It would be worth getting one ordered and waiting for a little while to get it. If you are in a hurry and do not mind sourcing out the other parts to build up a stripped upper, then any of the others will do.

Feedback Score
    Tony's Customs. Their A1 upper is a perfect-and I mean perfect-match to Anderson's lowers. Their site lists them in stock as of today.
    Last edited by Rocketeer61; 10-17-20 at 19:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I would consider Windham Weaponry very viable. I have bought many barrels and some other parts from them over the past few years. Never an issue. Their C7 upper is out of stock right now, but it would be a good choice as it is complete. It would be worth getting one ordered and waiting for a little while to get it. If you are in a hurry and do not mind sourcing out the other parts to build up a stripped upper, then any of the others will do.
    Good to know.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    The Windham barrel I bought for my A2 build was good to go. For a receiver I’d go with Fulton Armory.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer61 View Post
    Tony's Customs. Their A1 upper is a perfect-and I mean perfect-match to Anderson's lowers. Their site lists them in stock as of today.
    Bear in mind, the upper Tony's has is not an A1. That is just what they call it. It is a M16A1E1/C7 type upper that was originally developed as part of the M16A2 series. Some refer to it as an A2 upper with field sights. An A1 upper does not have the brass deflector (Brunton Bump). The M16A1E1/C7 uppers were used on 700 series carbines (primarily the 723 and 733) and some very early M16A2s (M16A1E1).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast