Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 AR .. Colt best choice?

Feedback Score

22 AR .. Colt best choice?

For dedicated 22 AR Rifles what is the best choice in terms of reliability and accuracy? Looking at the Colt but they have had so many changes in recent years not sure how they stack up. Looking for a dedicated 22 AR vs a conversion gun. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    NOT COLT! I believe the "Colt M4" is nothing more than a Walther made copy- like the GSG MP5 etc....NOT a quality product. Honestly, to me, unless you are absolutely hung up about the weight, the Smith Wesson M&P is the most trouble free of them, easiest to find etc....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Build your own.
    You can start with the upper and use your existing lower.
    Black Dog Machine magazines work with your standard AR lower.
    They also make a drum magazine that holds like 80 rounds.

Mine has a CMMG bolt and that came with threaded barrel and collar. Used standard stripped upper and free float handguard. Add a red dot or iron sights and run with it.

Bought the CMMG kit for $225, had a stripped upper in a box from a previous bulk purchase, purchased a 4” carbon fiber free float handguard on clearance for $40. 4.5” barrel with can on my SBR lower and subsonics is quite enjoyable. I need to build a second with a 16” barrel as well.

Primary arms has some CMMG bolts and mags in stock last I looked. Barrels have become slim pickings these days.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    To be honest with you, I'd rather have a high end 10/22 or high end .22 LR bolt gun than any .22LR AR-15 setup. To many problems and crap to deal with.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My S&W MNP HAS RUN EXTREMELY well. It occasionally jams but I’ve run 5 mag dumps without issue. Suppressed and not suppressed. And I don’t keep it clean. I warn you, when your optic cost more and trigger cost almost as much, you will have a slight guilt trip.

I love mine.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

My Tactical Solutions dedicated AR.22 runs great - even on (MOSTLY!) Thunderbolts!

Sadly, they don't make 'em any more.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Tippmann m4-22... i have the elite version. Same exact controls as a centerfire AR, and this model has the weight of a AR. Lrbo, reliable and easy to load 25rd mags (same profile as regular ar mags).

Full mlok rail. Even comes with flipup sights.

Have a few hundred rds through it so far, and it has shot CCI minimag, aguila (sv and hv), american eagle, federal champion all extremely well and consistent.

I'm very impressed so far

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    NOT COLT! I believe the "Colt M4" is nothing more than a Walther made copy- like the GSG MP5 etc....NOT a quality product. Honestly, to me, unless you are absolutely hung up about the weight, the Smith Wesson M&P is the most trouble free of them, easiest to find etc....
    I believe the "Colt" .22 rimfire is indeed made by Walther... BUT Walther's quality on their .22 rimfire rifles is pretty good. The downside is that all parts are proprietary.

There are a lot of options based generally on the Ciener design and CMMG's refinement of it. An actual CMMG would be a decent option, as would be various others. For example, Nordic Components gets good reviews:

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-22rb-upper/

That or a CMMG upper with any standard AR15 lower gets you a dedicated rifle with a lot of interchangeable common parts.

I've had good results with a similar (now defunct brand) dedicated 22 upper. Black Dog magazines are good, CMMG are OK. Don't expect the reliability of a BCM or Colt 6920, but DO expect the same reliability of a factory Ruger 10/22 with factory mags.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been very pleased with my M&P. I agree the Colt is just the name on the 22. Buddy bought one and when you split it open it looks like the M4 portion of the gun is just molded over the Walther rifle. Very cheesy inside.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you get the M&P, pull the plug from the “buffer tube” and fill it with ammo. This way you have ammo with it at all times even if you have to single shot it because of no mag. The biggest advantage though is the extra weight helps balance it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast