Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 22 AR .. Colt best choice?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    To be honest with you, I'd rather have a high end 10/22 or high end .22 LR bolt gun than any .22LR AR-15 setup. To many problems and crap to deal with.
    I put a dedicated 22 lr upper together using RTB (CMMG) barrel, bolt, and magazines. Accuracy has been very good for a non-target 22 and reliability is better than my (sample of one) 10-22.

EDIT - I forgot about the CMMG propensity to break firing pin springs, have weak extractor springs, and reported firing pin breakage. A 10-22 will run a long long time before parts need replaced, mine is just ammo sensitive.

My son has an older Colt 22 M4 and he would tell you to walk away from them - too much plastic.

It's undeniable that building a rimfire AR is not economical compared to a 10-22, the niche they fill is a sub-caliber trainer.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-23-20 at 06:32.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have an M&P 15-22 and I have been pretty pleased with it. Several thousand rounds of trouble free shooting. Have yet to have any issues with mags both OEM and aftermarket (don’t remember the brand).
    If I didn’t already have the M&P, I would definitely look at the Tippman.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Tippmann M4-22 Elite. Get one at Rainier Arms, they have them in stock. BTW the Tippman comes in a full 16" rifle, or a 7" AR pistol version. More accurate than the 15-22 by a good bit, and the weight is more realistic to a full-size AR.

I have a Tippmann full-size inbound.

Feedback Score
    I've had a CMMG dedicated upper for several years. I use a Palmetto lower with it. I also have an M&P 15-22 that I purchased in 2009 when first released. 40k rounds through the M&P and still runs like new. Also have a Sig522 SWAT. Of the three I prefer the CMMG because it's an actual AR platform. All three are very reliable shooting suppressed with CCI SV. I may get the CMMG 9in and a pistol brace.

Rimfire money pit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Rimfire money pit.
    Ain't that the truth? Whoever told us that getting into rimfire was going to save us $$$ vs centerfire, lied big time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't have an AR 22, but I've got a Sig 522. When I practice AR, I use the real thing. So, I have a Sig 522, and some 10/22s. I have a couple other 22s also, but those are my main 22s.

I really like the Sig 522, I wish they had not discontinued them. The 522 is very well made, parts are metal, not plastic, and I managed to get a Midwest industries folding front sight that is the right height to work with a Troy in the rear. I put a PA red dot on it and plink away.

My only complaint is that the mag fit is a little loose, and it runs best with high power ammo. Mainly, it loves Mini Mags (no surprise), of course If I actually gave it a complete cleaning it might help.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 10-23-20 at 17:35.

Feedback Score
    Anyone considering the Colt M4 .22 should watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opqf...ature=emb_logo

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have the S&W M&P-15/22 and like it well enough. Main use is intro'ing kids / shooters to an AR15 style rifle than 'cheap training', since recoil and other things will be very different.

I also have CZ Rimfire bolt actions and Ruger 10/22s. If I'm going for a semi auto 22LR to really shoot something (pest control), the Ruger 10/22s with Tacsol barrels and VQ trigger stuff get picked every single time. If I want quiet, the CZ Bolt actions. The S&W gets in-frequent use as most people who build up 22LRs pimp daddy end up sinking a lot of money into something that gets done far better by other options out there. But people need 'projects', or at least some ppl. do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Tippmann M4-22 Elite. Get one at Rainier Arms, they have them in stock. BTW the Tippman comes in a full 16" rifle, or a 7" AR pistol version. More accurate than the 15-22 by a good bit, and the weight is more realistic to a full-size AR.

I have a Tippmann full-size inbound.
    Really liking my Tippmann. Got a few extra mags for it and put another 500 rounds through it this afternoon. No issues at all and agree with the accuracy. Better than the 15-22 I had and my stock 10-22

I have the 16 inch elite version and added a B5 stock and red dot. Great as a training carbine

Feedback Score
    I own a S&W 15/22 that is quite good for training purposed, especially clearing malfunctions. Definitely requires high velocity ammo. But, it cheep to shoot compared to my centerfire AR's.

I also own a Ruger 10/22, rebuilt with Tactical Solutions barrel, BX trigger group, Hogue stock and other upgrades. Absolutely reliable, reasonably quiet when suppressed and lots of fun.

If one want to shoot scary quiet, try a bolt action 22RF with suppressor and subsonic ammo.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123