Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 AR .. Colt best choice?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Go to 10:10 in this video to see the M4 over mold. Just gross.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0cOUrqw0tzs

Feedback Score
    https://youtu.be/gKlO75lvluU

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Second the Tippmann. Bought one recently because of ammo costs. Same controls and weight as AR.

I set mine up exactly like my main gun except for a Holosun instead of aimpoint. It will take ar15 handguards, triggers, stock, grip.

Runs great so far with CCI mini mags and even thunderbolt

They have 2 16' versions. I bought the one with the longer handguard. Also a couple pistol variants.

The other 2 options I considered were m&p 15-22 and building. Tippmann checked all the boxes. The magazines run about $25 and are a good design as well. They have steel get ramps and a good dust cover design
    Last edited by everready73; 10-17-20 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I kind of agree with scottryan and would much rather have a 10/22. But if your intention is to use it for training the CMMG bolt, barrel, and charging handle is the way to go (not the conversion kit). Its a blow back system so it super easy to build. The barrel comes in a number of lengths and you can get a mag loader for their 25 round mags (that are extremely reliable).

I built one with a 4" barrel, cheap aero upper and 7" rail. That upper with a 22 can on it is a blast to shoot and wicked quiet. But I really only use it for training or if my nephews come over and want to go nuts with mag dumps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Tactical Solutions dedicated 22LR M-4 clone upper on any "spec AR-15 lower". I bought mine years ago and IIRC it was $449.00. Medium to high velocity rounds seem to function best
    Last edited by 10MMGary; 10-18-20 at 09:53. Reason: added "22LR"
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    NOT COLT! I believe the "Colt M4" is nothing more than a Walther made copy- like the GSG MP5 etc....NOT a quality product. Honestly, to me, unless you are absolutely hung up about the weight, the Smith Wesson M&P is the most trouble free of them, easiest to find etc....
    That may indeed be true of the Colt licensed M-4-22LR clone, I never owned one. But as to the GSG Firefly & the a Colt licensed 1911 from Walther and my GSG MP-5-22LR, all they do is eat all the high velocity I have fed them and shit empties.
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have to agree with others that said to look elsewhere. I've had the colt, the smith and home brew, the smith was by far the best one as it was light, accurate, well made, trouble free but, you are absolutely better off with a 10/22 or a marlin 60 series (my personal favorite) imho. these two platforms give you simplicity, work with all 22lr ammo, parts are abundant and cheap and mods are there for the most part.

I get the whole training thing and if you must go this route, the smith is the way to go

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    If you get the M&P, pull the plug from the “buffer tube” and fill it with ammo. This way you have ammo with it at all times even if you have to single shot it because of no mag. The biggest advantage though is the extra weight helps balance it out.
    Thank you for the tip!

I would lean toward the 10/22 as well.

Shot M&P and bolt adapter Rimfire AR's and outside of sight alignment(which can really be done now on a 10/22) the feel and manual of arms is far from 1:1 with a 5.56.

That being said, Black Dog Mags are really nice as are the M&P with an edge to the M&P for the button on the side for loading.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-18-20 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    I have to agree with others that said to look elsewhere. I've had the colt, the smith and home brew, the smith was by far the best one as it was light, accurate, well made, trouble free but, you are absolutely better off with a 10/22 or a marlin 60 series (my personal favorite) imho. these two platforms give you simplicity, work with all 22lr ammo, parts are abundant and cheap and mods are there for the most part.

I get the whole training thing and if you must go this route, the smith is the way to go
    I have a 10/22 and its great. Interested in the 22 AR's. The Tactical Solutions and JP Enterprises 22 AR's seem most interesting now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I have a 10/22 and its great. Interested in the 22 AR's. The Tactical Solutions and JP Enterprises 22 AR's seem most interesting now.
    I hear you so I'd go with the smith as the plethora of reviews online should be a no brainer qualifier. The smith is well received, eats all ammo, reliable, priced nicely, light, and I don't think you will regret it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast