Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimbers Custom Shop SS 1911 45 ACP Worth?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Kimbers Custom Shop SS 1911 45 ACP Worth?

I am looking at a Kimber SS Custom Shop , Gold Combat SS.45 ACP and what is it Worth Used?
    Last edited by Lawdog-1; 10-17-20 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    There really isn’t a Custom Shop at Kimber.
    With that being said, what model is it?
    A vague value to your vague question, $500-2000

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gold Combat SS 5."

Feedback Score
    Kimber (similar to SIG) seems to often bring out new models and discontinue other models.
    I'd look at this "Gold Combat SS 5" model's features and compare it to the MSRP of a current similar model.

While I've had a few Kimber 1911 pistols, to me there isn't any particular desire to collect or pay a premium for a Kimber 1911. I'm refraining from buying right now to not have to pay a premium during these Covid-19 times of higher prices. I did bid on a discontinued Kimber the other day (Kimber SIS Custom{"Custom" merely means 5" in Kimber-speak} RL, aka rail) which I remember selling for ~$1200 when new, but went well over $1800 on Gunbroker.

As Post_2 said, there is no actual "Custom Shop" at Kimber, which seems to use the term as a marketing phrase or just a webpage name. I don't know what "SS" means other than perhaps "stainless steel". I do remember there being a "Gold Combat" model but cannot remember its details. I think somebody had this model in a class I attended.

Determine if it had a rail, night sights, barrel type (bull or regular bushing), grip material, magwell, anything else, and price accordingly. Kimber 1911s usually only came with one magazine, btw. Also, determine if it has a "Series II" type Swartz safety if that's of concern or not.
    Last edited by L-2; 10-17-20 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Its a Series 1 and to me a Series 1 is worth 10 Times to a Series II. I have been looking a Stainless Steel for 7 years.

Feedback Score
    Post_5, a discontinued model is worth a premium to the lucky buyer, then. Let us know how it goes. (I don't know about "ten times" the value, however)

Do note many of Kimber's new models seem to be omitting the Series II firing pin safety.
    The current, but at an unknown limited timeframe, "LW" models seem to be the best deal right now, which apparently have no firing pin safeties:
    https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistol...?layer&cat=518
    Last edited by L-2; 10-17-20 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How does $1200.00 sound for winning bid price? I am waiting for FFL Transfer.

Feedback Score
    A bit off topic, but Kimber is moving to Alabama. https://www.kimberamerica.com/press/...adquarter-2020

Feedback Score

Kimber

I think you did alright on the price during these times, guns are bringing a premium during these times. but it will come down to condition.

Last december I bought two Kimber 1911's, I paid 1200.00 for each of them. The first one is a Compact Custom built in 1998. Only 2000 of them were built as the compact gun was not yet that popular like it is today. This gun is absolutely flawless, I would rate it a 9.5 only because it's been fired. Gun is all stock came with all paperwork , packing material and two original Chip McCormic shooting star mags that don't have a scratch on them. It was built when Wilson and McCormic worked for Kimber. It has no MIM parts, hand fitted and is a series 1, stuffed full of Wilson and McCormic parts from the Factory.

The second one is an Eclipse Target built in 2000, this is my second one of these. I sold the first one and regretted it from the day I sold it. I looked long and hard to replace it. Then I ran across this one and jumped on the buy now price. I was shocked when I picked it up, the case still had the factory seal on it. The case had never been opened, it was a brand new 20 year old gun. It is full of Match grade parts and is a real shooter, I shoot this one but not the other one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Just dont buy a Kimber, the worst 1911 maker IMHO.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast