Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimbers Custom Shop SS 1911 45 ACP Worth?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is wrong with Kimber?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    MIM, deplorable lack of QC, screwy/needless Firing Pin Safety, difficult takedown/re-assembly (due to FP Safety).

Years back they were GTG- like 25 years back...
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog-1 View Post
    Well, according to the internet only mine and like two others on the planet work.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    MIM, deplorable lack of QC, screwy/needless Firing Pin Safety, difficult takedown/re-assembly (due to FP Safety).

Years back they were GTG- like 25 years back...
    I tend to agree with not owning the series II as mentioned above, first line, about the FP safety.

I owned several of the original early 2000 models (no firing pin safety), from full size to compact size. Yes they did have MIM parts, had a front sight sheared off after 30 rounds, had a thumb safety lever broken. But Kimber sent me new ones when I contacted them, although I didn't use their parts, I had my gunsmith install tool steel replacement. But those old Kimbers just ran and ran and were accurate. I shot thousand of rounds through them. The reason I don't own them anymore was I traded up. But as far as fighting/defense guns, those old Kimbers were just fine. As a matter of facts, several big name 1911 pistolsmiths used them as base guns.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All the Kimbers that I own and buy are the Series 1. I stay away from the Series II models like the above model made in 1999, Kimber Custom model. I have been looking for a SS Kimber Series 1 about 10 years.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog-1 View Post
    Everybody I know who has owned one, they said "They got great customer service because mine went down and they fixed it". They all went down and went down and down and down.

Anybody can get lucky, but if you are playing the odds, why gamble. Too many good mfg to buy from. SA, DW, Colt then the really nice semi-custom variety. Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I have read multiple times on internet forums that good gunsmiths don’t want to fool with trying to build a custom gun from a Kimber 1911. Kimber is good at marketing though.

Feedback Score
    Of the six Kimber 1911's I have owned, all series 1 non of them have given me any issues. The early Kimbers were a whole different animal to what they make today. If you can find a pre 1999 one you will get a fantastic gun with no MIM parts. And yes the early stainless models are hard to find, thats why I was so happy to find the early Eclipse Target and jumped on it and paid full retail price for it. And it is a shooter very accurate. Kimbers get a bad rep because people do not break them in properly, they are a tight fitting gun and need about 500 rounds through them for proper break in. It is outlined in the owners manual.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks Dino11, I hope my my 1999 Kimber Custom Shop , Gold Combat Stainless will be a great be a shooter .45 ACP 1911.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12