Thread: Kimbers Custom Shop SS 1911 45 ACP Worth?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Kimbers Custom Shop SS 1911 45 ACP Worth?

I am looking at a Kimber SS Custom Shop , Gold Combat SS.45 ACP and what is it Worth Used?
    Last edited by Lawdog-1; 10-17-20 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    There really isn’t a Custom Shop at Kimber.
    With that being said, what model is it?
    A vague value to your vague question, $500-2000

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gold Combat SS 5."

Feedback Score
    Kimber (similar to SIG) seems to often bring out new models and discontinue other models.
    I'd look at this "Gold Combat SS 5" model's features and compare it to the MSRP of a current similar model.

While I've had a few Kimber 1911 pistols, to me there isn't any particular desire to collect or pay a premium for a Kimber 1911. I'm refraining from buying right now to not have to pay a premium during these Covid-19 times of higher prices. I did bid on a discontinued Kimber the other day (Kimber SIS Custom{"Custom" merely means 5" in Kimber-speak} RL, aka rail) which I remember selling for ~$1200 when new, but went well over $1800 on Gunbroker.

As Post_2 said, there is no actual "Custom Shop" at Kimber, which seems to use the term as a marketing phrase or just a webpage name. I don't know what "SS" means other than perhaps "stainless steel". I do remember there being a "Gold Combat" model but cannot remember its details. I think somebody had this model in a class I attended.

Determine if it had a rail, night sights, barrel type (bull or regular bushing), grip material, magwell, anything else, and price accordingly. Kimber 1911s usually only came with one magazine, btw. Also, determine if it has a "Series II" type Swartz safety if that's of concern or not.
    Last edited by L-2; 10-17-20 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Its a Series 1 and to me a Series 1 is worth 10 Times to a Series II. I have been looking a Stainless Steel for 7 years.

Feedback Score
    Post_5, a discontinued model is worth a premium to the lucky buyer, then. Let us know how it goes. (I don't know about "ten times" the value, however)

Do note many of Kimber's new models seem to be omitting the Series II firing pin safety.
    The current, but at an unknown limited timeframe, "LW" models seem to be the best deal right now, which apparently have no firing pin safeties:
    https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistol...?layer&cat=518
    Last edited by L-2; 10-17-20 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    I have read multiple times on internet forums that good gunsmiths don’t want to fool with trying to build a custom gun from a Kimber 1911. Kimber is good at marketing though.

Feedback Score
    Of the six Kimber 1911's I have owned, all series 1 non of them have given me any issues. The early Kimbers were a whole different animal to what they make today. If you can find a pre 1999 one you will get a fantastic gun with no MIM parts. And yes the early stainless models are hard to find, thats why I was so happy to find the early Eclipse Target and jumped on it and paid full retail price for it. And it is a shooter very accurate. Kimbers get a bad rep because people do not break them in properly, they are a tight fitting gun and need about 500 rounds through them for proper break in. It is outlined in the owners manual.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks Dino11, I hope my my 1999 Kimber Custom Shop , Gold Combat Stainless will be a great be a shooter .45 ACP 1911.