Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sling management for lefty

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sling management for lefty

I use a sentry strap to keep my sling out of the way on my HD MK18 pistol. My dad uses a BCM 12.5" Kino in pistol configuration for his HD gun, and I thought I'd purchase a sentry strap for his gun as well. I overlooked the fact that his sling is on the right side of the gun, so the sentry strap places the sling directly over the ejection port—obviously a nonstarter.

Do y'all have suggestions for how a lefty can tidy up his sling? Other than "learn to shoot right handed" of course...

Feedback Score

Sling management for lefty

Could you wrap the sling under the hand guard and then on the left side of the firearm before securing?

You would have to leave enough slack to clear the magazine and pistol grip on deployment so that you could quickly pull it under and then up to the right side for use.

Edit to add: thinking about that, though, it would require you to take your dominant hand off of the grip which may be no bueno.
    Last edited by boss_hawg; 10-17-20 at 07:30.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    if i was a lefty I'd likely either set up the gun with a left side ejection, or shoot right handed.

Those seemingly not an option here, attached the sling on the right and bring it under the gun and stow it on the left side.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What is a Sentry strap and have you tried testing it to see if it really causes a malfunction? Can you not set it loose enough to fall away from the ejection port?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For Post_4, here's a Sentry Strap webpage:
    https://theneomag.com/shop/sentry-strap/

It appears to be a nicely made hook&loop strap which wraps around the handguard for the, only, under $40 delivered (depends on sales tax & shipping, I suppose).

I use leftover rubber bands from buying broccoli at the grocery store and fold-up the extra sling length at the stock-end.

For the OP's left-handed (sling on the right) use, I'd foresee grapping the firearm and immediately pulling the sling free, therefore clearing the AR's ejection port area. I think the OP is thinking to use the sling and Sentry Strap with it all wrapped up on the firearm.

My thinking is the Sentry Strap is mainly used as an on-weapon sling-storage (whether in a safe or in a rack of some sort) "solution" rather than deploying the firearm as is (even though a right-handed/left-side-sling could be done so).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    For Post_4, here's a Sentry Strap webpage:
    https://theneomag.com/shop/sentry-strap/

It appears to be a nicely made hook&loop strap which wraps around the handguard for the, only, under $40 delivered (depends on sales tax & shipping, I suppose).

I use leftover rubber bands from buying broccoli at the grocery store and fold-up the extra sling length at the stock-end.

For the OP's left-handed (sling on the right) use, I'd foresee grapping the firearm and immediately pulling the sling free, therefore clearing the AR's ejection port area. I think the OP is thinking to use the sling and Sentry Strap with it all wrapped up on the firearm.

My thinking is the Sentry Strap is mainly used as an on-weapon sling-storage (whether in a safe or in a rack of some sort) "solution" rather than deploying the firearm as is (even though a right-handed/left-side-sling could be done so).
    Thank you for the link.

I currently have a itw web dominator that I use but it's not a great solution. The sentry strap looks like it eould work better.

OP could also try this:
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/sling-sleeve.html

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    if i was a lefty I'd likely either set up the gun with a left side ejection, or shoot right handed.
    With bolt guns, absolutely. After a lifetime of farting around with RH bolt guns, I've finally sold off my last one and my bolt guns are all LH. Love it.

AR's--IMHO it's not worth it for lefties. Yeah you have Stag and a few others building LH receivers, but it just isn't worth the headaches with compatibility and parts. I just shoot all my RH AR's, setup ambi controls for CH/selector/mag release, and leave well enough alone. It's workable for a lefty to run a sling in general on a RH rifle, I'm able to make it work. Heck LAV himself who's behind the VCAS slings is a lefty, here's his video with tips:

https://news.aroutfitting.com/2020/0...-manipulation/

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    With bolt guns, absolutely. After a lifetime of farting around with RH bolt guns, I've finally sold off my last one and my bolt guns are all LH. Love it.

AR's--IMHO it's not worth it for lefties. Yeah you have Stag and a few others building LH receivers, but it just isn't worth the headaches with compatibility and parts. I just shoot all my RH AR's, setup ambi controls for CH/selector/mag release, and leave well enough alone. It's workable for a lefty to run a sling in general on a RH rifle, I'm able to make it work. Heck LAV himself who's behind the VCAS slings is a lefty, here's his video with tips:

https://news.aroutfitting.com/2020/0...-manipulation/
    Another lefty saying the same, I'll stick with standard right side ejection with ambi-controls.

I use the BFG sling sleeve that Vandal5 posted above or a Ranger band on my BCM stocks to secure my slings.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Check our Sheriff of Baghdad too for his videos. He (Shrek) makes slings (which are great BTW) but I recall that he may be left eye dominant. You should be able to see how he stores the sling on his rifle for left hand use.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You might try something like this. It does cover the ejection port for a lefty, but it's very quick to deploy out of this position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3yXTX6z_cw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast