Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sling management for lefty

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I use a sentry strap to keep my sling out of the way on my HD MK18 pistol. My dad uses a BCM 12.5" Kino in pistol configuration for his HD gun, and I thought I'd purchase a sentry strap for his gun as well. I overlooked the fact that his sling is on the right side of the gun, so the sentry strap places the sling directly over the ejection port—obviously a nonstarter.

Do y'all have suggestions for how a lefty can tidy up his sling? Other than "learn to shoot right handed" of course...
    Lefty here. I use Ranger Bands, the bands John McPhee sends with his SOB B-slings, and big rubber bands form the office supply store. Ess-roll the sling and slide it under the band on the stock.

I generally mount my slings as far forward and as far to the rear as possible. I store the sling fairly snug, and I have no problems with the sling interfering with ejection while stowed. The fact that I run my sling mounts as forward and as rearward as possible may have something to do with this. ETA - I actually run the rear QD swivel on the left side of the stock, running the sling around the rear of the stock when stowed.

I generally just leave the sling as stowed when shooting from the bench, as I said no problems. I could see how using the sentry strap at the rear of the handguard could easily cause problems, though. As a result, I'm not interested in the product.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 10-18-20 at 22:05.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Lefty here. I use Ranger Bands, the bands John McPhee sends with his SOB B-slings, and big rubber bands form the office supply store. Ess-roll the sling and slide it under the band on the stock.

I generally mount my slings as far forward and as far to the rear as possible. I store the sling fairly snug, and I have no problems with the sling interfering with ejection while stowed. The fact that I run my sling mounts as forward and as rearward as possible may have something to do with this. ETA - I actually run the rear QD swivel on the left side of the stock, running the sling around the rear of the stock when stowed.

I generally just leave the sling as stowed when shooting from the bench, as I said no problems. I could see how using the sentry strap at the rear of the handguard could easily cause problems, though. As a result, I'm not interested in the product.
    Another left-handed person here. This is very similar to how I store slings. I haven't had an issue with this setup at all, and when I've needed to use the sling, I pull the sling out and it's ready to use.

I do think that having sling mounts as far forward and as far to the rear as possible helps with this issue for left-handed people.
    Last edited by Leftie; 10-19-20 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm not left handed, but this works equally well on either side. I use the Sling Keep B that Forward Controls Design sells. The width of it helps secure the sling much better than the ranger bands I was using previously. If you pair it with a good 2 to 1 point sling, you can make use of the single point configuration as a means to stow the sling on the stock and out of the way of all of the controls. I prefer the Blue Force Gear Vickers 221 sling strictly for this reason.

The BFG Vickers 221 sling has the socket in line with the sling, not offset like many other 2 to 1 point slings, which helps keep everything tight together when stowed.

As you can see, the position of the QD socket allows the sling to nicely fold over itself.

Depending on your stock/brace setup, the sling can be positioned underneath of the cheek rest and still allow you to shoulder the rifle from either side without much hastle.

It really doesn't add much to the profile of the weapon, and at least for me, doesn't get in the way at all. I can run the weapon as if there wasn't a sling there at all.

If you find time to get the sling out, then you can easily pull it out of the Sling Keep B. I find it easier to put the sling on in the 1 point configuration first, the release the front socket from the sling socket, and mount it forward as normal.

Obviously this may not be for everyone, but it's been the best way I've found to stow a sling by far.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I should’ve added that the gun has a LAW folding adapter and spends a fair amount of time in folded configuration. But it has QD points at the rear of the brace, rear of the receiver, and at the fore and aft points of the rail

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

I’m having a hard time picturing the S-roll. Do you have a photo of your setup?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I’m having a hard time picturing the S-roll. Do you have a photo of your setup?
    Took one:

Ess-1.JPG
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12