Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Problem with DD Fixed Irons on BCM Rifle

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Wonder where he bought the sights? A lot of fakes out there. https://danieldefense.com/counterfeit-information

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    1.5" low at 25 yards is basically a 100 yard zero on an AR because of the sight height over bore. A 25 yard zero requires a pretty steep trajectory and the POI would cross the POA again at 400 yards.

All academic, I would be displeased if I had to bottom out the front sight to zero at 100 yards. Hopefully DD takes care of you.

Andy
    This is my concern since there is nothing left if I need it. And yes, it’s the front sight.

And to others no, I’m no expert and said I was new to this platform at the start, but I’m learning. I understand a little, and know there is offset as well, but something isn’t right here. Whatever the case, I’ll get it sorted. Thanks for your help all.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    This is my concern since there is nothing left if I need it. And yes, it’s the front sight.
    I see you caught my error before I did.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I see you caught my error before I did.
    Andy

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Not sure how that will work out if I’m this low at 25 with no adjustment left, but I’m willing to learn.

That’s interesting, and I will look around. I’ve come across a couple of early featured M1 Carbines with sight blades too tall, and had to deal with that. A whole lot would have to come off this one, so I will look into that. Perhaps DD will shed some light on this for me as well.

Thank you both...
    That low at 25 would probably still have you hitting high at 100 so I would would at 100 to check and it'll probably be good.

My standard procedure for zeroing same plane rear irons for POI=POA at 100 yards is to shoot a 25 yard target and adjust so the bullet is roughly 2 inches low at 25 and that will put nearly dead on elevation at 100.
    Last edited by bb223; 10-27-20 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought a used "DD" front that wouldn't zero at 50yards(hitting high with the post barely threaded in) so assumed I got a fake even though it seemed to match pictures of some DD sights through the years.

Go here and use 2.61" for the sight height.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics-calculator

What you have seems to be on the ragged edge of being able to get either a 50 or 100 yard zero, but the maxed out part sounds like something is off.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-27-20 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    Are you married to DD sights? When you found a problem, you did not contact DD, you contacted BCM and they were just fine with other sights. DD rear does not even adjust for distance. OK, it is cool, sleek, A1 windage, slides on, but these are for up close work only. There is a cut down A2 from LMC and an even cooler design marketed by Palmento. These can be adjusted for distance. Or you could move into the 21st Century with Ultradynes. What is the fascination for DD?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1.5" low at 25 yards is basically a 100 yard zero on an AR because of the sight height over bore. A 25 yard zero requires a pretty steep trajectory and the POI would cross the POA again at 400 yards.

All academic, I would be displeased if I had to bottom out the front sight to zero at 100 yards. Hopefully DD takes care of you.

Andy
    Zeroing at 25M is a 300M zero. Army and Marines do this to get on paper. Confirm at distance.

Iron sights on a FF rail is stupid. I see this all the time.

What is happening to this forum?
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Zeroing at 25M is a 300M zero. Army and Marines do this to get on paper. Confirm at distance.

Iron sights on a FF rail is stupid. I see this all the time.

What is happening to this forum?
    I can't speak to the Marines, but I spend 20 years in the Army and never once confirmed at distance. Never fired at a KD range after basic training. Silhouettes only.

M193 @ 3200 fps is 4" high and M855 @ 3100 fps is 2" high at 300 M with a 25 M zero. From a ballistics calculator because why would I zero at 25 M now that I have a choice?

Andy

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Literally everyday with M4s and M16s numbering on a scale that makes the entirety of this site look pathetic.
    Just because it's the Army way doesn't mean it's the right way. In fact, that correlation coefficient is probably comically low overall.

Zero at 50yd if you're able to, 36yd if you need to, or calculate how low you need to be in order for you to get a usable 50yd zero.
    What lets the 36yd zero work well is that you can line up a 300m BDC to that point, and you end up with something usable... you could do the same with a 400offset at 25yd, but 50/200 is still a preferable point because of the managable 115-125yd offset
    Last edited by TehLlama; 11-18-20 at 12:11.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast