Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Problem with DD Fixed Irons on BCM Rifle

Feedback Score

Serious Problem with DD Fixed Irons on BCM Rifle

Hey Folks, I promise I have searched deeply and can’t find anything to resolve this issue. Any admin that can view my activity will be able confirm my efforts. I only mention this because I’ve modded other forums where simple searches are seldom done for common questions. With that out of the way...

I recently purchased a 16” BCM Recce with a KMR A15 on which I mounted a pair of DD fixed irons. I only plan on running Irons for the foreseeable/time being but these are not working. My results are as follows. Using M193 ball ammo at 25 yds for initial zero, I was still approximately 1.5” below POA with the front sight post bottomed 100% completely out. After not finding a resolution here, I decided to contact BCM for advice, thinking I’d chosen improper sights for this rifle. They immediately requested I return the upper with sights installed, and to their credit sent me a prepaid 3day ups label. In short, they confirmed what I did, and obviously checked the upper for issues. They let me know today that with an A2 handle, and Troy flip front installed, they were able to complete a proper zero, no problem. About this, they stated that this setup met/matched proper MIL-SPEC height requirements. They did not state the DD sights were lacking in this regard but did say they suspect one of the sights was too tall or short. Very confusing. And they suggested I contact DD regarding the issue which I have done. I’m presently awaiting a reply from them, and shortly the return of my upper from BCM. I bought these sights from a reputable dealer and do not believe them to be counterfeit, and there’s nothing I can see that’s obviously wrong with them.

With the lack of availability on many AR parts, you can imagine the frustration I’m having. I really don’t want a carry handle, but do want to run irons now, and still when I do eventually acquire a good optic. I am new to ARs, but I’ve shot M1 and M1 Carbines extensively over the last 20 years so I am very partial to that traditional setup. If I’m an idiot for choosing the entirely wrong setup out of ignorance I don’t mind being called out on it. I’m just looking for advice and help from any of you here who no doubt know more than I. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
    Last edited by Patrick_B; 10-17-20 at 13:17.

Feedback Score
    The general rule for moving iron sights is FORTS- "front opposite rear the same", which means you move the front sight down to make the point of impact go up, and vice versa for the rear sight. It sounds like you are moving the front sight post the wrong way.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderpigeon View Post
    The general rule for moving iron sights is FORTS- "front opposite rear the same", which means you move the front sight down to make the point of impact go up, and vice versa for the rear sight. It sounds like you are moving the front sight post the wrong way.
    If that’s not issue (I assume BCM would’ve checked since they asked for the sights to be included), likely just a defective sight. There should be no problems with you chose. BTW, for fixed sights, Scalarworks are amazing. I’m sure DD will take care of you though, again assuming it’s not somehow user error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    BTW, for fixed sights, Scalarworks are amazing.
    Ditto, they are my favorite fixed sights.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, down on the front to make the POI come up. I’ve screwed the front post down as far as it will go. If the rear had elevation you’d have to raise that one up to raise the the POI. My apologies if that wasn’t clear in my first post.

I did see the Scalarworks sights, thought they looked amazing. Even thought they were expensive I wanted them but couldn’t locate a set anywhere.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Zero at 50 yards or 100 yards and problem is solved.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I had to replace the post on a DD fixed front sight once with a taller or shorter one. Don’t remember which. Sorry if that doesn’t help much. Try googling around for different height posts. I think maybe KNS makes one?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Do you have the tools to measure the height of the front post?

Feedback Score
    Do you have the tools to measure the height of the front post?
    This would help.

Also, it would be nice to know what it does at 50 or 100 yards. You may be very close to zeroed. I think 1-1.25” low is normal for a zeroed AR at 25 yards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    Zero at 50 yards or 100 yards and problem is solved.
    Not sure how that will work out if I’m this low at 25 with no adjustment left, but I’m willing to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I had to replace the post on a DD fixed front sight once with a taller or shorter one. Don’t remember which. Sorry if that doesn’t help much. Try googling around for different height posts. I think maybe KNS makes one?
    That’s interesting, and I will look around. I’ve come across a couple of early featured M1 Carbines with sight blades too tall, and had to deal with that. A whole lot would have to come off this one, so I will look into that. Perhaps DD will shed some light on this for me as well.

Thank you both...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast