Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Serious Problem with DD Fixed Irons on BCM Rifle

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7,251
    Feedback Score
    87 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I can't speak to the Marines, but I spend 20 years in the Army and never once confirmed at distance. Never fired at a KD range after basic training. Silhouettes only.

    Andy
    Fact.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7,251
    Feedback Score
    87 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Iron sights on a FF rail is stupid. I see this all the time.

    What is happening to this forum?
    Why is that stupid?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NoDak
    Posts
    287
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I can't speak to the Marines, but I spend 20 years in the Army and never once confirmed at distance. Never fired at a KD range after basic training. Silhouettes only.

    M193 @ 3200 fps is 4" high and M855 @ 3100 fps is 2" high at 300 M with a 25 M zero. From a ballistics calculator because why would I zero at 25 M now that I have a choice?

    Andy
    So your command sucked then. Unfortunate.

    My Knights BulletFlight Military Version 4.6 for the M4 firing M855 with 25M zero is -0.3@25M and 0.5@300M.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

    I'm in an echo chamber.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NoDak
    Posts
    287
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Why is that stupid?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The subject of this thread? Iím solidly in the camp of iron sights mounted on FF rails just cause problems. As I said Iíve seen these problems enough to form my opinion.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Zeroing at 25M is a 300M zero. Army and Marines do this to get on paper. Confirm at distance.
    Iron sights on a FF rail is stupid. I see this all the time.
    What is happening to this forum?
    I guess itís like any forum. They are all susceptible to stupid people joining up, and asking dumb a** questions that others were born knowing the answers too. Itís a real problem I know from experience moderating for many years on one. Mostly because it puts a bad face on the forum, and by extension the activity/hobby when members berate and belittle instead of trying to help someone past ďNed and the first ReaderĒ stage. I donít know if this is how you walk up to someone on a range and start talking, but I wouldnít be surprised if you did. I think back and remember it was definitely people like you that were one of the things that turned me off of the AR scene. People into the old stuff I was wild, and just learning about then loved sharing knowledge and helping out a new guy. Maybe even with parts, repairs and problems, or anything else they knew, but one thing for sure, they usually didnít walk up and tell you how stupid you were for doing this or that. Especially if you were obviously new and green. Even if itís a forum, I try hard to speak as if Iím talking to someone in person, at a range, or shop...whatever. Seems like that got lost on the internet transition. But enough on that.

    I appreciate everyone else and sorry I havenít replied but since this posted, Iíve had some important life and work things preventing me from getting this resolved. I did make contact with DD and canít say enough good about them. When itís all sorted, Iíll come back and finish this off. Again, I sincerely appreciate all the input, and Iím grateful for the help. Been trying to educate myself more and have taken it all into consideration. Iíll address you individually later on, but thanks again to all.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    2,834
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    So your command sucked then. Unfortunate.
    Even in SOF, KD ranges donít make up the bulk of range time. I could probably count on my fingers the number of times Iíve shot paper past 100 while being paid. Steel and E-types instead. Its not about a command sucking, its that trying to reproduce a NRA High Power match is not the best use of range time. Youíre either going cold to check targets hundreds of meters away, or half your dudes are in the pits instead of shooting. There are more efficient ways to train a bunch of goons than sitting on a KD range talking about the weather and what type of grass is best.
    RLTW
    ďYep, it's definite. I simply don't care enough what you think.Ē -SteyrAug

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Even in SOF, KD ranges don’t make up the bulk of range time. I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I’ve shot paper past 100 while being paid. Steel and E-types instead. Its not about a command sucking, its that trying to reproduce a NRA High Power match is not the best use of range time. You’re either going cold to check targets hundreds of meters away, or half your dudes are in the pits instead of shooting. There are more efficient ways to train a bunch of goons than sitting on a KD range talking about the weather and what type of grass is best.
    I’d enjoy learning more about that. I know just enough to be confounded about how they accepted weapons for adoption based on how they were judged and trialed, versus how people trained with them and used them in real world scenarios. All very strange if you ask me.

    And hey Rifleman 04, I hope you come back and expand. I wonder if you say that because of something or things that have given me pause, and reason to wonder.
    Last edited by Patrick_B; 12-01-20 at 23:04.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NoDak
    Posts
    287
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I guess itís like any forum. They are all susceptible to stupid people joining up, and asking dumb a** questions that others were born knowing the answers too. Itís a real problem I know from experience moderating for many years on one. Mostly because it puts a bad face on the forum, and by extension the activity/hobby when members berate and belittle instead of trying to help someone past ďNed and the first ReaderĒ stage. I donít know if this is how you walk up to someone on a range and start talking, but I wouldnít be surprised if you did. I think back and remember it was definitely people like you that were one of the things that turned me off of the AR scene. People into the old stuff I was wild, and just learning about then loved sharing knowledge and helping out a new guy. Maybe even with parts, repairs and problems, or anything else they knew, but one thing for sure, they usually didnít walk up and tell you how stupid you were for doing this or that. Especially if you were obviously new and green. Even if itís a forum, I try hard to speak as if Iím talking to someone in person, at a range, or shop...whatever. Seems like that got lost on the internet transition.
    Nice try with the lecture but I spent a decade in the Marine Corps and this is just how I speak. To everyone. Iím not an expert and I wasnít born knowing all answers, I learned through experience. Iíll share my experiences and opinions but just like assholes everybodyís got one.

    Also this is the internet and half of it is how you interpret my speak and tone. There is also an ignore button. Or grow thicker skin. Jeez.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NoDak
    Posts
    287
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Even in SOF, KD ranges donít make up the bulk of range time. I could probably count on my fingers the number of times Iíve shot paper past 100 while being paid. Steel and E-types instead. Its not about a command sucking, its that trying to reproduce a NRA High Power match is not the best use of range time. Youíre either going cold to check targets hundreds of meters away, or half your dudes are in the pits instead of shooting. There are more efficient ways to train a bunch of goons than sitting on a KD range talking about the weather and what type of grass is best.
    Youíve outlined the institutional differences between services...thatís why we shoot better.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NoDak
    Posts
    287
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    And hey Rifleman 04, I hope you come back and expand. I wonder if you say that because of something or things that have given me pause, and reason to wonder.
    Iíll stay as long as youíll have me 😉

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •