Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Serious Problem with DD Fixed Irons on BCM Rifle

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I can't speak to the Marines, but I spend 20 years in the Army and never once confirmed at distance. Never fired at a KD range after basic training. Silhouettes only.

Andy
    Fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Iron sights on a FF rail is stupid. I see this all the time.

What is happening to this forum?
    Why is that stupid?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I can't speak to the Marines, but I spend 20 years in the Army and never once confirmed at distance. Never fired at a KD range after basic training. Silhouettes only.

M193 @ 3200 fps is 4" high and M855 @ 3100 fps is 2" high at 300 M with a 25 M zero. From a ballistics calculator because why would I zero at 25 M now that I have a choice?

Andy
    So your command sucked then. Unfortunate.

My Knights BulletFlight Military Version 4.6 for the M4 firing M855 with 25M zero is -0.3@25M and 0.5@300M.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Why is that stupid?

The subject of this thread? I’m solidly in the camp of iron sights mounted on FF rails just cause problems. As I said I’ve seen these problems enough to form my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Zeroing at 25M is a 300M zero. Army and Marines do this to get on paper. Confirm at distance.
    Iron sights on a FF rail is stupid. I see this all the time.
    What is happening to this forum?
    I guess it’s like any forum. They are all susceptible to stupid people joining up, and asking dumb a** questions that others were born knowing the answers too. It’s a real problem I know from experience moderating for many years on one. Mostly because it puts a bad face on the forum, and by extension the activity/hobby when members berate and belittle instead of trying to help someone past “Ned and the first Reader” stage. I don’t know if this is how you walk up to someone on a range and start talking, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you did. I think back and remember it was definitely people like you that were one of the things that turned me off of the AR scene. People into the old stuff I was wild, and just learning about then loved sharing knowledge and helping out a new guy. Maybe even with parts, repairs and problems, or anything else they knew, but one thing for sure, they usually didn’t walk up and tell you how stupid you were for doing this or that. Especially if you were obviously new and green. Even if it’s a forum, I try hard to speak as if I’m talking to someone in person, at a range, or shop...whatever. Seems like that got lost on the internet transition. But enough on that.

I appreciate everyone else and sorry I haven’t replied but since this posted, I’ve had some important life and work things preventing me from getting this resolved. I did make contact with DD and can’t say enough good about them. When it’s all sorted, I’ll come back and finish this off. Again, I sincerely appreciate all the input, and I’m grateful for the help. Been trying to educate myself more and have taken it all into consideration. I’ll address you individually later on, but thanks again to all.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    So your command sucked then. Unfortunate.
    Even in SOF, KD ranges don’t make up the bulk of range time. I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I’ve shot paper past 100 while being paid. Steel and E-types instead. Its not about a command sucking, its that trying to reproduce a NRA High Power match is not the best use of range time. You’re either going cold to check targets hundreds of meters away, or half your dudes are in the pits instead of shooting. There are more efficient ways to train a bunch of goons than sitting on a KD range talking about the weather and what type of grass is best.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Even in SOF, KD ranges don’t make up the bulk of range time. I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I’ve shot paper past 100 while being paid. Steel and E-types instead. Its not about a command sucking, its that trying to reproduce a NRA High Power match is not the best use of range time. You’re either going cold to check targets hundreds of meters away, or half your dudes are in the pits instead of shooting. There are more efficient ways to train a bunch of goons than sitting on a KD range talking about the weather and what type of grass is best.
    I’d enjoy learning more about that. I know just enough to be confounded about how they accepted weapons for adoption based on how they were judged and trialed, versus how people trained with them and used them in real world scenarios. All very strange if you ask me.

And hey Rifleman 04, I hope you come back and expand. I wonder if you say that because of something or things that have given me pause, and reason to wonder.
    Last edited by Patrick_B; 12-01-20 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I guess it’s like any forum. They are all susceptible to stupid people joining up, and asking dumb a** questions that others were born knowing the answers too. It’s a real problem I know from experience moderating for many years on one. Mostly because it puts a bad face on the forum, and by extension the activity/hobby when members berate and belittle instead of trying to help someone past “Ned and the first Reader” stage. I don’t know if this is how you walk up to someone on a range and start talking, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you did. I think back and remember it was definitely people like you that were one of the things that turned me off of the AR scene. People into the old stuff I was wild, and just learning about then loved sharing knowledge and helping out a new guy. Maybe even with parts, repairs and problems, or anything else they knew, but one thing for sure, they usually didn’t walk up and tell you how stupid you were for doing this or that. Especially if you were obviously new and green. Even if it’s a forum, I try hard to speak as if I’m talking to someone in person, at a range, or shop...whatever. Seems like that got lost on the internet transition.
    Nice try with the lecture but I spent a decade in the Marine Corps and this is just how I speak. To everyone. I’m not an expert and I wasn’t born knowing all answers, I learned through experience. I’ll share my experiences and opinions but just like assholes everybody’s got one.

Also this is the internet and half of it is how you interpret my speak and tone. There is also an ignore button. Or grow thicker skin. Jeez.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You’ve outlined the institutional differences between services...that’s why we shoot better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    And hey Rifleman 04, I hope you come back and expand. I wonder if you say that because of something or things that have given me pause, and reason to wonder.
    I’ll stay as long as you’ll have me 😉

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast