Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optics: a question for the Old Gen shooters here

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Optics: a question for the Old Gen shooters here

Generation A2 here. I have a question for my Old School silver-haired peers.

Do you feel overwhelmed by modern optics - LPVOs in particular? Because I sure as heck do.

I got out the Vortex Razor Gen II I got some months back, to check it out and study the manual. But real quick it became clear that I’m in way over my head.

Installing and adjusting an EO Tech or an Aimpoint is pretty much the limit of my expertise; I know exactly nothing about installing, adjusting, leveling, or torquing an LPVO - I don’t even own a torque wrench.

“What the heck was I thinking?” keeps running through my head reading all of this - makes me want to stick with irons and call it a day. I’m out of my lane.

Watched a few too many YouTube videos, I guess.

Feedback Score
    I started with and A1 and find it no more difficult to mount a LPVO on an modern flat top AR than to mount a scope on a bolt action. The mount I prefer is the Burris PEPR or one of its clones.
    Last edited by JDH1; 10-18-20 at 19:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’m not smart enough, I have to admit.

Feedback Score
    IMO, there are two ways you can go on this. The first way (mine) is to use the M1A1 eyeball system to judge level, and just make the screws snug (a little more than finger tight) (I was an Army 32J20 B3 way back in the day). The second way is to use a couple of mechanical aids to help, as follows:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod56977.aspx About $48

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod56976.aspx About $59

Yeah, you can spend more, but why? These will get the job done for a reasonable price.

P.S. Locktite Blue is your friend.
    Last edited by Rascally; 10-18-20 at 20:28. Reason: Edit to add
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
    I started with and A1 and find it no more difficult to mount a LPVO on an modern flat top AR than to mount a scope on a bolt action. The mount I prefer is the Burris PEPR or one of its clones.
    Same, I had mounted scopes on all sorts of rifles before I did an AR. A level is your friend, as are horizontally split scope rings. I normally work out eye relief then level the scope. I use Warne Xskel mounts and a Warne "torque wrench" and life is easy.

I believe the Razor is an excellent optic, so you are halfway there. My eyesight is getting worse with age; magnified optics are a Godsend for me.

If a else fails, take it to a gunsmith, they love installing scopes.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-18-20 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Men and Brethren, thanks much for the helpful suggestions and encouraging words, I sure appreciate it. I will get this done somehow.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I purchased a PST Gen II 1x6. Ive watched videos and read the manual, still have no clue how to use MRADs to range targets.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    I purchased a PST Gen II 1x6. Ive watched videos and read the manual, still have no clue how to use MRADs to range targets.
    I foun these videos helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9gfaM6cB4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWHR8HibjhA

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Generation A2 here. I have a question for my Old School silver-haired peers.

Do you feel overwhelmed by modern optics - LPVOs in particular? Because I sure as heck do.

I got out the Vortex Razor Gen II I got some months back, to check it out and study the manual. But real quick it became clear that I’m in way over my head.

Installing and adjusting an EO Tech or an Aimpoint is pretty much the limit of my expertise; I know exactly nothing about installing, adjusting, leveling, or torquing an LPVO - I don’t even own a torque wrench.

“What the heck was I thinking?” keeps running through my head reading all of this - makes me want to stick with irons and call it a day. I’m out of my lane.

Watched a few too many YouTube videos, I guess.
    No I am glad they are finally mainstream and I do not have to put an optic on the top of my Carry Handle anymore.

Feedback Score
    Any progress?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast