Thread: Better Hesco 4401 Level 4 plate carrier needed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Better Hesco 4401 Level 4 plate carrier needed

I need better weight distrubution for these heavy plates with a carrier that isn't a full harness or chassis system. The Crye AVS would be nice but, it is overkill for my needs and I think I might melt in it. I am torn between a fully enclosed cummerbund for support and one of the open options.

I am under the impression that the Crye Precision AirLite SPC system may be what I am looking for with its stiff cummerbund anchored to the plate bags while being fairly open to breathe and vent sweat and heat. From there I am looking at the LBT QRC V2 as the next logical 'upgrade'. Anything lighter (more concealing) than a JPC 2.0 or SPC won't carry what I want for any reasonable period of time without shoulder and back pain.

The only thing I envision carrying on this plate carrier is a 3-mag shingle, hydration, and a boo boo kit and TQ.

What is recommended with these thoughts in mind? What am I overlooking?

TIA,
    Sid

• 1. I'm looking for a plate carrier.
    • 2. I'm a civilian in rural East Texas.
    • 3. The primary usage of this item is for use on my 40 acres with various criminal activities nearby including rifle fire in addition to general theft and break ins .
    • 4. I'd also like to use it for protection from criminal elements using rifles in addition to cheap gang banger pistols.
    • 7. I prefer it to be made out of durable materials that aren't overly hot and will vent sweat.
    • 8. My budget for this item is ~$600 but, I'd rather 'cry once, pay once' as the most expensive option is replacing a piece of gear that didn't work out.
    • 9. I'm looking for it in these colors multicam or coyote.
    • 10. I care/don't care if it looks 'tactical'. I already have a discrete low profile plate carrier for level 3 special threat plates
    • 11. I need/don't need it to be low profile/concealed etc. Overt is fine
    • 12. I'm looking at the Crye Precision AirLite and have considered the JPC 2.0, LBT options, and a few others
    • 13. If it's a sizing/fit question, provide your height, weight, build, waist size, inseam length - whatever sizing information is relevant to your question. Hesco 4401 single curve Level 4 plates
    • 14. If it's a comfort question, state the conditions you want to use the garment under - dry/humid/wet, hot/cold.Texas heat and humidity about 2 hours from the coast

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I need better weight distrubution for these heavy plates with a carrier that isn't a full harness or chassis system. The Crye AVS would be nice but, it is overkill for my needs and I think I might melt in it. I am torn between a fully enclosed cummerbund for support and one of the open options.

I am under the impression that the Crye Precision AirLite SPC system may be what I am looking for with its stiff cummerbund anchored to the plate bags while being fairly open to breathe and vent sweat and heat. From there I am looking at the LBT QRC V2 as the next logical 'upgrade'. Anything lighter (more concealing) than a JPC 2.0 or SPC won't carry what I want for any reasonable period of time without shoulder and back pain.

The only thing I envision carrying on this plate carrier is a 3-mag shingle, hydration, and a boo boo kit and TQ.

What is recommended with these thoughts in mind? What am I overlooking?

TIA,
    Sid

• 1. I'm looking for a plate carrier.
    • 2. I'm a civilian in rural East Texas.
    • 3. The primary usage of this item is for use on my 40 acres with various criminal activities nearby including rifle fire in addition to general theft and break ins .
    • 4. I'd also like to use it for protection from criminal elements using rifles in addition to cheap gang banger pistols.
    • 7. I prefer it to be made out of durable materials that aren't overly hot and will vent sweat.
    • 8. My budget for this item is ~$600 but, I'd rather 'cry once, pay once' as the most expensive option is replacing a piece of gear that didn't work out.
    • 9. I'm looking for it in these colors multicam or coyote.
    • 10. I care/don't care if it looks 'tactical'. I already have a discrete low profile plate carrier for level 3 special threat plates
    • 11. I need/don't need it to be low profile/concealed etc. Overt is fine
    • 12. I'm looking at the Crye Precision AirLite and have considered the JPC 2.0, LBT options, and a few others
    • 13. If it's a sizing/fit question, provide your height, weight, build, waist size, inseam length - whatever sizing information is relevant to your question. Hesco 4401 single curve Level 4 plates
    • 14. If it's a comfort question, state the conditions you want to use the garment under - dry/humid/wet, hot/cold.Texas heat and humidity about 2 hours from the coast
    I got in on the Kota Hesco deal and got two sets, one running in a Fero Slickster ($150) medium (for the plate size), the other a LBT 6094 ($250) from Bullet Proof Me- the LBT are overruns from 2016 - I think made in South America somewhere, definitely overbuilt (compared to the Slickster) and only come in brown and large - the Slickster is my covert set up to run easily under a light, large jacket- the LBT is my turtle with side plates, 2 liter reservoir and mag shingles. The Hesco plates will fit in both easily - the LBT has adjustment H&L to cinch the plate up- 4401's are tight (which is good) in the Slickster.
    If you want to do both, you can always add to the Slickster, but the LBT starts out as bulky, no matter what, so a minimalist rout may be best to build up from.
    Opps- missed the TX heat query- I sweat in both (and in San Antonio, so I know heat and humidity). Get used to it.
    Last edited by ddbtoth; 10-19-20 at 09:01.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe an SKD STT with pontoons and a skeletal cumber from BCS?

Feedback Score
    I have the SPC. The only thing I can compare it to is the stuff I use at work. It's significantly lighter and more comfortable for me. It's not quite as padded as a full-blown carrier, but it's more breathable because of that, and quite a bit more padded than the minimalist carriers I see. It has 3D mesh padding throughout that make it very easy to wear for long periods of time. I'll probably end up using it for work. The cummerbund can be wonky if the carrier isn't loaded up but it definitely provides some nice structural support when it is. If you don't like the cummerbund it'll accept any of the regular Crye ones anyways so you have options, but I appreciate how much support it provides. Best way I can describe it is that the rigid cummerbund works with the 3D mesh to keep the plate bags just enough off your body to breathe and be comfortable while not allowing them to bounce around.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks Chris! Your comments are super helpful. It sounds like the AirLite SPC is a great option for me.

Feedback Score
    The cummerbund is also huge. I don't know who sizes Crye stuff but according to their chart I was a medium. I ended up exchanging for a small and that is still pretty big on me. Just something to keep in mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM516 View Post
    The cummerbund is also huge. I don't know who sizes Crye stuff but according to their chart I was a medium. I ended up exchanging for a small and that is still pretty big on me. Just something to keep in mind.
    Yes, their SPC cummerbunds are a lot larger on these than their other plate carriers for some reason. Some speculate it has to do with the attachment method to add stiffness. The mediums are probably best for someone with a huge beer belly as even the small is enough for most 'normal' people who are in reasonable shape.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    You could also take a chance on the Ferro FCPC Gen V. It has a structural cummerbund like the SPC.

Frankly, the AVS *would* be your best bet, and it's not that unbreathable if you add the super awesome (and expensive) pads. It really is great at weight bearing.
    Definitely in the top 3 of PCs I've owned.
    BUT... it's also super expensive, and it weighs about 4 pounds (assembled w/ front/rear bag, harness, 3-band bund, pads, front flap) by itself, so... I'd agree with the others here and say try a lighter/cheaper carrier with some alternate support options first.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've waffled between the JPC 2.0 and AVS for a long time. Today, I think I'll start with the AirLite SPC possibly with the STKSS option. I have a set of heavier plates that will likely end up in an AVS system at some point.

The Ferro FCPC Gen V is tempting too but, I'm not seeing it being available anywhere so, I'm probably going to skip it and share things between a CPC and future AVS. Availability and pricing could alter this plan though so, in today's crazy marketplace with price gouging and hoarding, I'm open to whatever becomes available first as long as it is good quality gear and meets the need.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I've waffled between the JPC 2.0 and AVS for a long time. Today, I think I'll start with the AirLite SPC possibly with the STKSS option. I have a set of heavier plates that will likely end up in an AVS system at some point.

The Ferro FCPC Gen V is tempting too but, I'm not seeing it being available anywhere so, I'm probably going to skip it and share things between a CPC and future AVS. Availability and pricing could alter this plan though so, in today's crazy marketplace with price gouging and hoarding, I'm open to whatever becomes available first as long as it is good quality gear and meets the need.
    If it helps, velocity system states a minimum of 12 weeks to process orders. Just ordered another carrier from them at the beginning of the month and it was less than 2 weeks from order placed to at my door./

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk